Talk

Advanced search

Whats everyone doing?plus tulips, daffs,

(11 Posts)
knot Sat 01-Jan-05 14:52:25

am determined to have my garden looking nice this year for dss bday party so have just spent some time out there tidying weeding etc what are others up to in there gardens at this time of year?
i also bought some daffs and tulips a few months ago is it too late to put them in now? anyone know?

Cadbury Sat 01-Jan-05 15:02:44

Oh I'm glad you've asked that. I have very little idea about what I need to do when and could use some advice myself. I cleared a whole lot of dead honeysuckle from my garden so I'm hoping to put something pretty in it's place until irt grows back. I'll keep my eyes open and see what everyone says.
Happy New Year Knot.

knot Sat 01-Jan-05 15:04:39

happy new year to you too. yes interested to see what the experts say too. i',m going to go to the library next week to see if any good books on it too, beats going to the shops and better for the post xmas waistline too!

Cadbury Sat 01-Jan-05 15:05:48

absolutely

NameChangingMancMidlander Sat 01-Jan-05 15:07:35

My garden is a complete mess now. Last summer we had a group of guys come in and revamp our back garden. They reshaped the lawn, dug over and weeded my sparse borders and built a big raised herb bed. I planted a lovely lavender hedge at the bck of the herb bed, which seems to be pretty unscathed by the ravages of wind, rain and crappy weather. Sadly now the herb bed is over-run with weeds from the topsoil (which wasn't sterile) and the borders are growing handfuls of weeds and clumps of grass, so they all need digging over again.

I need to spend a good few weekends doing the work out there when the weather improves. More so than ever as we hope to have our house on the market in the summer.

TracyK Sat 01-Jan-05 15:19:01

I think you would need to plant them pretty much now - but maybe not as deep as recommended. I know they were sposed to be in for Dec latest.
I haven't even bought any - time has just flown past!

knot Sat 01-Jan-05 15:44:10

you might be able to get a bargain and get reduced ones now then,

suedonim Sat 01-Jan-05 15:44:19

I've an embarrassing number of tulip and daff bulbs lurking in the garage. I just didn't get round to planting them. I know tulips can be planted late, not so sure about daffs but I reckon I've nothing to lose if I just bung them all into pots and containers for this year. They'll either grow or they won't!!

knot Sat 01-Jan-05 15:44:31

thanks, that smy plan for tomorrow then.

Levanna Mon 03-Jan-05 02:08:50

Oops, I've still got bulbs lurking too. I'll do that tomorrow. This year I've bought a lot of seeds so a bit later in the year I'm planning to literaly throw handfuls of them at the flowerbeds to see what pops up! (Going along the line of thought that some colour is better than none (ie. mud in this case!)

kid Mon 03-Jan-05 08:51:48

I have a garden this year, we moved here in July! No idea what to do with it though as I'm not very green fingered!
I did plant some bulbs in October, I'll see if my MIL can indentify what they are when they grow (if I they grow!) My garden is only little but I do love it anyway.
When I planted the bulbs, I'm sure it said on the packet to plant them between sept and dec.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now