Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

allotment alert: what's anyone planting now or overwintering?

(5 Posts)
curiouscat Tue 25-Sep-07 11:56:45

Hi, I'm about to get to grips with my shaggy allotment in London. We have permanent fruit plantings and purple sprouting in the ground plus asparagus. Other than that I want to avoid empty beds over the winter. What's anyone else planting? I tried winter field beans as a green manure last year with no success. Am I too late with say, leeks or onions? Thanks for any inspiration.

cremolafoam Tue 25-Sep-07 12:01:34

i am trying the green manure- winter tares
also have purple broccoli and a few beetroots to come. I would love to know what else i can do too. it seems such a shame to leave the ground bare.I have carol kleins book and there is something in it about over wintering broad beens- will go and have a look

cremolafoam Tue 25-Sep-07 12:12:19

i found this

Catz Tue 25-Sep-07 17:11:09

I'm going to put in garlic, shallots and onion sets soon for over-wintering (but remember that they will take up the ground till late spring/early summer so don't put them where you want to sow then).

I'm also continuing to sow salad leaves and oriental veggies. I've got a couple of packets of mixed seeds (can't remember the company) and still get lovely baby leaves in about 3 wks. The seeds are mizuna, red and green mustard, rocket, pak choi etc. Last year we spaced our October sown seeds out a bit more than usual, let the plants get quite big and picked leaves all the way through winter. They survived snow and we had freshly picked salad from the garden with tea on Christmas Day! (though I also did some in the greenhouse and they worked best)

wrinklygran Thu 27-Sep-07 10:52:25

broad beans for spring picking before anyone else

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now