Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Aargh - caterpillars!

(15 Posts)
JackieNo Thu 13-Sep-07 17:11:59

Woke up this morning, looked out of the window at the back, and one of the plants out there (about 5ft tall and about as wide), that was full of leaves, suddenly all the leaves are skeletonsshock. Didn't have a chance to look more closely till now, but have now found that it's covered with little green caterpillars that have eaten the leaves. So far it's only that plant that's affected (it's a weed that I've let grow far too bigblushblush), but are they going to go on and munch the rest of the garden? What do I do, please? Anyone know?

JackieNo Thu 13-Sep-07 17:38:15

Anyone? Do I need to be out there gathering them all up into an ice cream tub before disposing of them in some way? (God I hope not).

JackieNo Thu 13-Sep-07 19:23:47

Pleasesmile

southeatsastras Thu 13-Sep-07 19:24:44

aw cute

JackieNo Thu 13-Sep-07 19:25:20

Normally, yes, but not if there's a plague of themshock.

southeatsastras Thu 13-Sep-07 19:25:42

i imagine they'll of had their fill with the one plant i meant to put

goingfor3 Thu 13-Sep-07 19:26:09

They will turn into beautiful butterflies - arghhhhh

HuwEdwards Thu 13-Sep-07 19:26:40

I don't think they will munch the rest of the garden - we have 1 or 2 plants that the little bleeders target for munching - all else is left ok.

JackieNo Thu 13-Sep-07 19:27:02

But will they eat all our garden first?

JackieNo Thu 13-Sep-07 19:27:33

Ah, Xpost Huw - thanks. Hope that's the case. Looks v weird out there, all those skeleton leaves.

morningpaper Thu 13-Sep-07 19:34:11

me too - I have lost two trees completely - a willow and a birch. Completely stripped, one by small green caterpillars, one by big fat stripy caterpillars. Amazing. Too late to do anything - just wait for the butterflies I suppose!

southeatsastras Thu 13-Sep-07 19:34:30

i don't think i've seen one caterpillar this year <goes out to check plants>

JackieNo Thu 13-Sep-07 19:36:15

I thought autumn had come and the leaves had fallen off overnight, then realised. Glad (in a strange kind of way) that it's just not megrin. ALso glad it's the 'weed' (not that we've got that many plants, they'd only get eaten by the wild rabbitsangry)

JackieNo Thu 13-Sep-07 19:36:44

Southeastastra - you can have some of our caterpillars if you want - we've got plentywink.

southeatsastras Thu 13-Sep-07 19:39:57

i think you've got them all! none in my garden at all

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now