Talk

Advanced search

how much is a gardener likely to cost me??

(9 Posts)
smeeinit Wed 05-Sep-07 09:51:48

im seriously considering getting a gardener in once a fortnight to just cut the lawns and hedges and generally tidy up.
anyone know the going rate?

lou33 Wed 05-Sep-07 09:57:28

my friend says he charges 30 quid an hour

smeeinit Wed 05-Sep-07 16:00:28

anyone else?
thanks for that lou.smile

gomez Wed 05-Sep-07 16:02:28

We pay £30 a fortnight for grass cut and general tidy-up, not a huge garden, no hedge and not a lot of plants. But we are in Central Scotland.

In Edinburgh 4 years ago cost was £25 per hour.

lou33 Wed 05-Sep-07 17:07:11

he is in kent btw

AlwaysWatchingCastawayAt2am Wed 05-Sep-07 17:08:51

i've just had someone to do that for me and he charged £15 per hour. seems i got a bargain. he wasn't a gardener so much as a handyman tho. he was in s london.

FuriousGeorge Fri 07-Sep-07 21:50:48

Depends where you live.I charge £10 per hour in the East Midlands.That seems to be the going rate around here.

MadLabOwner Fri 07-Sep-07 22:00:41

I think I have been very lucky then looking at these prices! I paid £7 an hour for my gardener before we moved, and he came for 4 hours a week, did hedges, pruning, lawns, digging, all veg planting and stuff and never needed asking to do anything as he was so proactive. This was on Essex/Suffolk borders

Might be worth asking around for a retired man who fancies cash in hand - will most likely be cheaper than a professional gardener, and it doesn't sound like you need one of those, more a handyman type person?

RichardT Sat 03-Oct-15 20:55:55

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now