Talk

Advanced search

Are these just weeds?

(7 Posts)
Marmitemadmummy Sun 20-Oct-19 22:53:54

Just moved into a new house and need to sort out the garden. I am hopeless at gardening.

It's a rented house until July 2020.

Are these just weeds? Wondering what to do as don't want to spend lots of money when it's not my forever home.

Any advice much appreciated thanks!

Wearywithteens Sun 20-Oct-19 22:58:21

It’s too far away to tell - it could be ground elder or ash tree seedlings. Ash trees can grow very big so not advisable to be too close to the house.

TheNoodlesIncident Sun 20-Oct-19 23:25:42

It does look like ash trees and I can see a bramble as well. There might be something worthwhile in there but they will be smothered by that horrible lot.

Pull the lot up or spray them. They are tricky weeds which will need a bit of effort to get rid of, sorry. They will all get bigger and harder to get rid of the longer they are left to grow though.

Marmitemadmummy Sun 20-Oct-19 23:34:01

Thanks smile

MereDintofPandiculation Mon 21-Oct-19 10:31:15

Start by taking the weeds out of the path. Then take out the bramble which is crawling over the path - either pull it up, or, if it won't pull, follow the stem back to the ground and cut it about an inch underground, below where you can feel its growing point that all the stems come from.Take out the tall thing which almost certainly is an ash.

I'd be inclined not to worry too much about the rest - over winter it won't grow much and if you keep it tidy it'll look better than bare soil (which will in any case grow a new crop of weeds). Concentrate your efforts on keeping other bits tidy.

If you go the weedkiller route, there's broadly two types:1) systemic weedkillers, usually glyphosate (Round-up or Tumbleweed) which is about to banned by the EU on health grounds. Systemics are absorbed into the plant, disrupting its growth and killing it over a period of about 3 weeks. But they become inactive on reaching the soil, so you can plant other things where they've been used 2) path weedkillers, which kill everything then linger in the soil and prevent regeneration. Don't use these on flower beds, or where they can leach into flower beds!

Marmitemadmummy Mon 21-Oct-19 23:19:07

Thank you so much for your message! Yes I think doing the things you suggested and leaving the rest until after the winter sounds good. Will also know by spring if I am staying here longer so a great plan thank you.

ppeatfruit Wed 23-Oct-19 10:30:49

Sprays are not necessary . They not only badly affect the wildlife they can affect OUR health too. Have a wildlife garden to encourage hedgehogs etc.

If it's rained a lot just pull up the plants you don't want. Greenery is still more pleasant to look at than plain earth If you prefer the scorched earth look,, you could mulch (with woodchips) iI I suppose and put in some bulbs for the spring.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »