Talk

Advanced search

Mowing wet grass

(5 Posts)
1984isnow Sun 20-Oct-19 11:43:41

We have had rain more or less every day since mid sept, so the grass is looking a bit messy as I haven't been able to mow it. I'm desperate to get it done as can't stand the sight of it, but I don't know if I'll ruin my mower or turn it the lawn into a mudslide.

It's a big-ish garden and the mower isn't the biggest (have to empty it atleast 3 or 4 times when it's a normal length).

Shall I just wait until spring now or are there any tips to mow when it's wet?

notdaddycool Sun 20-Oct-19 14:51:07

I did mine last week, the problem is that the grass clumps in the blades. Every time the back became about half full I unblocked it and it was fine but be really careful that the mower is off as you could lose a hand if they started spinning. Also keep listening to the mower incase it sounds like it’s straining. I also cut mine longer than usual for winter.

1984isnow Sun 20-Oct-19 15:57:17

Thanks notdaddy, think it will take me hours if I have to keep emptying more often (takes me about 1.5 hrs in normal circs!)

MereDintofPandiculation Mon 21-Oct-19 09:50:50

If it takes 1.5 hrs, I presume you have a petrol mower You wouldn't of course use an electric mower when the grass is wet.

I was going to say that scythes work well on wet grass, but perhaps not if you have 1.5 hrs worth grin

MereDintofPandiculation Mon 21-Oct-19 10:02:26

A compromise is to mow a strip round the edge and a path or two through the middle - a ragged lawn with tidy edges looks deliberate and it somehow makes the whole thing look tidy.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »