Talk

Advanced search

Why does my driveway look a mess in Autumn?

(7 Posts)
Johnsonsfiat Fri 11-Oct-19 14:09:46

My driveway is a mess of congealed leaves matted into the ground in irregular clumps, despite sweeping it as often as I can. Everyone else's driveway has a pretty dappling of leaves.
Is it because we have tarmac and they have block paving? The leaves are quite hard to dislodge in damp weather. Is it to do with the drive surface?

MereDintofPandiculation Sat 12-Oct-19 09:46:15

More likely to do with air currents in immediate topography. Their leaves are getting steadily blown on to someone else's garden, whereas yours aren't able to be blown elsewhere and just accumulate. It might be simple things like having a higher bed edging along the driveway or clumps of plants, or might be more difficult, like the exact layout of houses and garages (even if all the houses are identical, the fact that you're the third house along not the 4th, for example, means you don't experience exactly the same wind currents as your neighbour.

We get good accumulations of leaves in the more stagnant areas of the block paved terrace. And you only have to look at side roads to realise tarmac is no protector against leaf fall accumulation.

GarethSouthgatesWaistcoat Sun 13-Oct-19 22:04:48

I've never used one before but I'm contemplating a garden vac/leaf blower 2in1. Would this solve your problem? I was looking at VonHaus, Aldi or Argos as they seemed well priced with decent reviews.

You can get corded and cordless varieties and some have mulchers built in.

GarethSouthgatesWaistcoat Sun 13-Oct-19 22:05:41

I'm a bit scared of the noise and the ability for random stones to knacker them...

Johnsonsfiat Tue 15-Oct-19 17:02:15

I've got an Aldi leaf blower. The 2 problems are how heavy it is and the fact that as it permanently wet at the time of year, the leaves just stick all over the bag they blow into.

fallfallfall Tue 15-Oct-19 18:02:31

Your driveway probably isn’t sloped properly and water isn’t draining off. Hence the soggy stuck leaves.

GarethSouthgatesWaistcoat Tue 15-Oct-19 19:37:12

Thanks Johnsons I didn't really consider the weight shock
I get a lot of beech leaves from the World's Biggest Beech Tree (tm) in a neighbouring small-ish garden. They take years to break down! I don't really have the space of inclination for leaf mulch. I've put up with them for now telling myself they provide valuable winter habitat for minibeasties but they drive me crazy in my borders 😂
The slugs love hiding amongst them.

If we have a dry November they're usually quite dry and crispy and blow everywhere grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »