Talk

Advanced search

Keep my aspidistra flying

(45 Posts)
Aridane Sun 22-Sep-19 18:57:40

The new leaves of my aspidistra are unfurling and are thin, papery dry and yellow.

What is wrong with it?

I think it could be under watering as when I lifted the pot it was super dry and light.

It is in the hallway where there is some light (not much).

It's about a year old

ListeningQuietly Tue 08-Oct-19 16:51:22

Drabarni
It could be an aspidistra
or clivia
or a sanseveria

Drabarni Tue 08-Oct-19 17:58:27

Friend identified it on her way to church meeting, I dragged her in, must have looked a right one.

It's some kind of Cactus either Easter or Christmas, she isn't sure. It's too big for the house, not sure what to do.
It's more like bush size.
I can't wait to find out which one. She said if I can't find out it will either flower at Christmas or Easter. grin
Will post a pic if I can, just for the humour side of things.

ListeningQuietly Tue 08-Oct-19 19:35:20

Ah, OK, Forest cactus - SPLENDID plants
have incredible flowers when they are happy

NanTheWiser Tue 08-Oct-19 21:03:33

@Drabarni, it sounds very like Crassula ovata, sometimes called the jade tree or money tree. They can eventually grow into large specimens, with thick trunks, and often flower in the winter. Frequently seen in the windows of Chinese and Indian takeaways. Google it, and see if it matches.

Drabarni Tue 08-Oct-19 22:10:18

I'm onto it and many thanks. The Chinese takeaway is a worry grin I'm going to break into "Suddenly Seymour" soon, I'm sure it's moving. It's going to have to go outside, it's really heavy too.
Can I take cuttings and give to friends? I'm no gardener plants always die on me.

NanTheWiser Tue 08-Oct-19 23:07:58

Was it a Crassula? Yes, you can take cuttings - they are really easy, but might be a bit slow at this time of year. Take a cutting a couple of inches long, allow it to dry out (callus) for about a week, then place it on dry gritty potting mix, not too deep, and it should begin to send out roots after a couple of weeks, when it can be potted up in gritty mix and watered lightly (allow to dry out between waterings).

It won't survive outside over winter - they need to be kept at a minimum of 5c over winter, frost will kill it, but it's OK in a cool room.

MereDintofPandiculation Wed 09-Oct-19 18:23:55

It's too big for the house, not sure what to do. If it's a Christmas or Easter cactus - flat segmented leaf-like stem, so it look like a whole lot of fleshy leaves, the bottom of each one slotted into the top of the one below - break off a few bits and let them root (you can just lie them on the soil). When you have enough to be confident that you'll get back to a reasonable sized plant, you can dispose of the original.

ListeningQuietly Wed 09-Oct-19 18:42:29

Jade Tree : Crassula - break off a few bits and propagate them and then sell the big plant to an office / restaurant on FAcebay

Forest Cactus : ditto

Drabarni Thu 10-Oct-19 14:59:02

Aw, thanks all.
I'm going to look after this plant, it isn't going to die on me.
Have spoken to dh and we are going to wait until spring to repot/take cuttings.
For now it's on a tall bar stool, the pot is looking a bit top heavy but should last.
It takes up the full corner of the room and have measured it. From the highest to the lowest it's 3ft high and 3ft wide.
I read that it must be quite old.

MereDintofPandiculation Fri 11-Oct-19 13:08:57

3ft high and 3ft wide. Doesn't sound like Christmas/Easter cactus. Google them - Christmas cactus is Zygocactus, Easter is Schlumbergia

Aridane Fri 11-Oct-19 16:25:43

Picture, picture, picture!

Drabarni Fri 11-Oct-19 16:55:03

I can't link from my phone, not because I'm not techy but it's set up for dh and I can never remember his password.

It's like this but much taller, not quite that wide but not so far off.
www.houzz.com/discussions/2810187/size-christmas-cactus-can-grow

ListeningQuietly Fri 11-Oct-19 17:16:09

WONDERFUL
Enjoy it
and any bits that break off can be rooted to grow more

Aridane Fri 11-Oct-19 18:35:56

Wow!

Aridane Tue 15-Oct-19 13:07:40

My aspidistra is now flying!!

Ahem - I think it just needed a good water grin blush

I have killed off about half my mini succulents - only about £1 a succulent, but still -through overwatering so have now gone the other way.

But even though aspidistra are apparently known as the cast iron plant for their resilience, I guess even aspidistra don't like extended periods in effectively a pot full of dry dust!!

NanTheWiser Tue 15-Oct-19 15:05:27

Good news Aridane! Tough as old boots they may be, but they do need a drink every now and then.

Aridane Wed 20-Nov-19 06:26:03

@Drabarni - you can buy aspidistra here!

perfectplants.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=Aspidistra

Not cheap,but they are a very good company

echt Sun 01-Dec-19 11:33:20

Here in Melbourne aspidistras are a outdoor plant. I grow them in the ground and in pots. Huge pots. ( I'll take some pics and post later).

They are deeply unfashionable and still stupidly over-priced. How does that work? I find they sulk like mad for ages when divided, preferring a crowded container.

Aridane Sun 01-Dec-19 11:40:51

Wow - do post the pictures!

Deep.y unfashionable and deeply lovely !

I think they're so expensive because they grow so slowly (unless they grow rampantly in Melbourne)

MereDintofPandiculation Sun 01-Dec-19 13:55:35

drabani That's a zygocactus/schlumbergia all right! I've not seen one that big!. Looks like yours is an Easter cactus, otherwise it'd have buds/flowers on it now.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »