Talk

Advanced search

If I water down the beer in my beer traps will it still 'off' the slugs?

(14 Posts)
handlemecarefully Wed 08-Aug-07 16:09:24

If it is watered down say 50% will it still attract them enough to lure them over and drown them?

I just bought a 4 pack of John Smith bitter at the local garage for £3.99 (fecking lucky slugs) and it isn't going to go far...

handlemecarefully Wed 08-Aug-07 16:14:53

jangly Wed 08-Aug-07 16:17:00

Yeah, it probably will work ok. A slug crawled into my shoe which I left outside last night, and it couldn't have ponged that much!

ledodgy Wed 08-Aug-07 16:18:54

My mum used to use that value lager that's about 50p a can in Tesco, that worked and that's watered down loads. pmsl at the slugs drinking John Smiths.

handlemecarefully Wed 08-Aug-07 16:46:51

Pampered aren't they.

Will look out for value lager from Tesco next time I am shopping!

Hallgerda Thu 09-Aug-07 13:04:25

Mine drank Carling Black Label for a while <ducks to avoid angry fellow Streathamites plagued by superslugs>.

hatwoman Thu 09-Aug-07 13:08:22

in depseration and anger mine once had some poncey organic ale. have a party and then next morning go round emptying all the cans for your little friends

Marina Thu 09-Aug-07 13:09:37

Tell me where you live and I will come and eat your plants in exchange for some beer HMC

ladymac Thu 09-Aug-07 13:12:58

Forgive the ignorance but what do you put the beer in and where do you have to position it? Have a major slug problem. Tried eggshells round my hostas but the slugs cared not and have eaten them up.

ladymac Thu 09-Aug-07 13:15:47

The hosta not the eggshells.

hatwoman Thu 09-Aug-07 14:55:31

anything - jam jar, food tin, large yoghurt pot - bury them so the lip is at ground level. fill about a third-half. be prepared - the contents are barftastic

ladymac Thu 09-Aug-07 15:05:38

Thanks Hatwoman.

We have inherited decking at our new house and I have watched the slugs climb out through the gaps between the slats. I can't wait to get my beer traps buried!

Nbg Thu 09-Aug-07 15:07:41

There was a guy on This Morning last week and he was saying that you can just water your plants with the beer and it will keep the slugs off.

We have a big fat bugger coming into our living room on a night.
Eurghhhhhhh

handlemecarefully Tue 21-Aug-07 19:08:02

That's a handy tip. Watering them with beery water. That really works?

I've found some Morrisons value bitter - 92p for 4 cans.

Broccoli plants still look a bit beseiged but I am fishing out slugs on a regular basis. We feed them to the chickens and think we are terribly hilarious yelling "Oi, chickens - would you like some marinaded slugs?"

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: