Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Smallish Specimen Flowering Shrubs - Recommendations

(6 Posts)
Tillyboo Sat 04-Aug-07 21:30:16

We have just finished clearing a fairly big border in the middle of our lawn and need some ideas of what to replant it with.

I tend to go for evergreen plants as at least you have some interest in winter but I'd like some perennial flowering plants too. I want to plant thyme and some cammomile with a few stepping stones dotted around as ground cover but would like some ideas of some nice small-mid size shrubs too.

Nothing that gets too straggly/ woody or needs loads of pruning.

We are putting in a garden arch and need a good strong flowering plant too. I like the Jasminoids but aren't they slow growing ? I want something pretty fast growing.

Any suggestions please ?

MaryBS Sun 05-Aug-07 14:05:30

Paeonies are good perennials, and you can get some with interesting leaf colours.

Can also recommend "bleeding heart" plants.

As for the arch, I've had a jasmine that grew very quickly. Or you could have clematis, or passion fruit (our passion fruit actually fruits, and are edible!)

Pruners Mon 06-Aug-07 09:12:33

Message withdrawn

Pruners Mon 06-Aug-07 09:17:06

Message withdrawn

nomdeplume Mon 06-Aug-07 09:21:09

Honeysuckle is very fast growing, strong, study, attractive and scented. Brilliant for your arch.

Tillyboo Mon 06-Aug-07 09:56:38

Thanks everyone - lots of food for thought !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now