Talk

Advanced search

Is this Japanese Knotweed?

(24 Posts)
SPARKLYSTARSHINESBRIGHT Wed 14-Aug-19 13:41:48

Can anyone please advise me if this is Japanese knotweed? It's covering an area of 15m x 3m now on council land but is adjacent to houses.

Plumpcious Wed 14-Aug-19 13:49:34

Doesn't look like it. JK has wider leaves, more heart shaped. What do the stems look like?

SPARKLYSTARSHINESBRIGHT Wed 14-Aug-19 14:00:32

Here's another pic with stem on it

Vodkasquirts Wed 14-Aug-19 14:07:19

It looks like it - Do you have a pic of the stems are they similar to cane

What are you going to do with that leaf?

If you have brought it home - you need to burn every last shred of it.

Dont put it in your bin or throw away randomly on the floor. Knotweed grows from any part of it a stem, leaf or root

Vodkasquirts Wed 14-Aug-19 14:11:05

Looking again I think it is it looks similar to what was growing outside our old house. Which was a old Railway line.(common area's)

Be thankful it's not on your land it's council's responsibility.

How close is it to your property:

NotMaryWhitehouse Wed 14-Aug-19 14:11:46

I second a PP, the leaves aren't wide enough- google it to put your mind at rest.

PasDeGeeGees Wed 14-Aug-19 14:14:29

Google Japanese knotweed, look at images and compare - it doesn't look like that at all.

SPARKLYSTARSHINESBRIGHT Wed 14-Aug-19 14:15:09

It's not by my house, it's a place I walk everyday and have noticed it double in size very quickly. I can get more pictures tomorrow. Thanks Vodka I will dispose of it properly. I will contact Council and report it but I wasn't sure if it was or not.

Trethew Wed 14-Aug-19 16:55:37

Not knotweed

Mesmeri Wed 14-Aug-19 17:02:48

Japanese Knotweed has a distinctive red stem.

diet4eva Wed 14-Aug-19 17:03:46

Looks more like ground elder to me

amylou8 Wed 14-Aug-19 17:18:22

No it's not knotweed.

MereDintofPandiculation Wed 14-Aug-19 18:38:38

It doesn't look in the least like ground elder either - ground elder has leaves made up of separate leaflets.

That leaf looks most like one of the willowherbs, but hard to tell without an idea of size. Would be easier it it were in flower.

But definitely not japanese knotweed, himalayan balsam, ground elder, or bindweed.

NICHOAS Wed 14-Aug-19 20:10:18

It's definitely not Japanese knotweed. The leaves are much more rounded, and taste slightly lemony. Japanese knotweed is one of the best plants for anti aging properties, it's full of trans resveratrol which can cure a whole host of illnesses, plus it's a very powerful antioxidant, it does tend to spread, but you can keep it in a large decorative garden pot so it can't spread. It spreads through its roots under grownd, but trap the roots and make sure that there's a stone slab underneath and your safe, but have a delicious, nutrition full, trans resveratrol full and quite pretty plant. The leaves are best eaten when they are small and light green. The stalks are like rhubarb and there are lots of knotweed recipes on the Internet, you can actually eat it faster than it can grow. I can't recommend it enough. Go to the health shop and see how much trans resveratrol capsules cost, I think about £30 for sixty, so the plant is worth it's weight in silver. It stops cancer, makes you lose weight, increases your intelligence, stops althimers, lowers blood pressure, unhardens arteries, stops strokes, improves eyesight, makes your skin soft and young again. Is great in salads, makes nice tea with a slice of lemon. It probably is the most incredible plant in the world, yet its demonised because people think its dangerous or poisonous, quite the complete opposite. Look up the heath benifits of Japanese knot

Idratherhaveacupoftea Wed 14-Aug-19 20:20:02

Definitely not. I had it, it was horrendous, it was in the garden when I moved in. It's taken me years to finally eradicate it. It was coming up in the lawn and pushed its way through concrete.

NotMaryWhitehouse Thu 15-Aug-19 09:22:41

@NICHOAS you can be fined up to £5k in the uk for causing or allowing the spread of Japanese knotweed, so regardless of its supposed 'benefits' planting it in a pot is terrible, terrible advice 🙄

candycane222 Thu 15-Aug-19 09:31:20

DEFINITELY not Japanese knotweed. As pps say, heart-shaped leaves and also stems are thickish and sometimes speckled iirc.

Are the stems at all woody? Has a tree been felled there recently? If so it might be suckering from roots (cherry trees often do this for example)

If sappy and easy to break, then yes possibly a willow herb (pink flowers, popular with bees smile. Or other annual, if it is shooting up quickly.

MereDintofPandiculation Thu 15-Aug-19 10:44:07

cherry trees often do this for example although this isn't a cherry, leaves too narrow.

kaypemberton Thu 15-Aug-19 11:39:20

Definitely not knotweed. I work for a knotweed treatment/removal company smile
BTW, leaves AREN'T heart shaped. They're shaped like a shield.

Sleeping1936 Thu 15-Aug-19 11:39:53

This definitely not knotweed, it is growing near me the owner of the land doesn't want to know, and the council won't do anything

BykerBykerOoh Thu 15-Aug-19 16:36:03

I think it looks more like willow herb as a pp suggested.

orangeshoebox Thu 15-Aug-19 16:38:15

not knotweed.
not ground elder.
is there another tree nearby? could be suckers. (fruit trees are bad for that)

HeadintheiClouds Thu 15-Aug-19 16:41:47

Definitely not knotweed.

SPARKLYSTARSHINESBRIGHT Fri 16-Aug-19 18:42:18

Thanks for your replies, glad to know it's not knotweed. It's under trees but the leaves look different.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »