Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Wasp nest

(7 Posts)
atalantis Wed 01-Aug-07 09:51:48

DH and I had lunch outside for the first time in ages yesterday, and we noticed that we've got a wasp nest in the air brick over our back door. The wasps don't seem to be causing a big problem; they're not coming into the house in any great numbers. Do we need to destroy the nest and, if so, how should we do it? Any advice much appreciated.

Marne Wed 01-Aug-07 10:01:15

Yes, i would get rid ASAP, call your local council and they will put you in touch with someone or look in the yellow pages for 'pest control', i would'nt risk doing it yourself.

We have a hornets nest at work, the bloody things are the size of birds

eyesfront Sat 04-Aug-07 15:16:18

the wasps are ok earlier in the year but in a few weeks they will make a beeline (sorry) for you the minute you bring food outside, and will get aggressive and angry. If you are brave you can get a tin of something nasty to spray in the nest from B&Q. If not any pest person will deal with it - we pay £35 to a local bloke in a village in surrey

crokky Sat 04-Aug-07 15:18:36

If you ring the council, they will either do it for you or recommend a company that will do it. If you have DCs, I would get rid or the wasps immediately. They could fly in through an open window/door etc.

SixKindsOfCrisis Sat 04-Aug-07 15:35:15

Unless they are going to do structural damage they can be left alone. We've often left nests. Apparently they don't return to the same spot the following season.

LIZS Sun 05-Aug-07 08:16:28

We got a private firm from council's website - look under Pest Control. Sorted within 24 hours .

lisad123 Sun 05-Aug-07 08:21:40

The council would help us as we are owner. They will only help their own tenants. We got a can of stuff from B&Q and dh sprayed them and the nest gets exploded .

L

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now