Talk

Advanced search

So who is eating home-grown tomatoes by now, and....

(51 Posts)
Kathyis6incheshigh Mon 30-Jul-07 14:51:51

.... how long does it take for green tomatoes to turn red, assuming it was actually sunny?

I have lots of reasonably-sized fruit on all 5 of my plants (2 x Sungold, Marmande, Gardener's Delight and St Pierre) but no signs of redness or even yellowness.
Forecast is good for this week though!

How are everyone else's doing?

SixKindsOfCrisis Mon 30-Jul-07 14:53:39

Mine are just starting to turn reddish (some, anyway) and that's outside, in the north east. Variety is Gardeners Delight. V. tasty!!

Wolfgirl Mon 30-Jul-07 14:55:24

growing toms for first time this year. Leaves are looking a bit pitiful, but there are plenty of green toms on the grow, just waiting for my kids to pluck them from the comfort of their little green stems!

know idea when they will turn red, but mid august should be about right Id guess.

MrsBadger Mon 30-Jul-07 14:58:29

to my shame I can't remember what variety we planted but they are heaving with good-sized fruit... all of which are still very green.
[rummages in kitchen drawer]
Thompson & Morgan Tomato Totem - they're in 10" pots on the patio

SixKindsOfCrisis Mon 30-Jul-07 14:58:31

Tomatoes are just brill to grow with children, aren't they. They taste and smell so lovely just off the vine, and it's so nice to grow things that the kids can pop straight into their mouths, rather than take to kitchen etc first.

Wheelybug Mon 30-Jul-07 15:00:45

Have one sort of tumbling in a basket outside which has lots of green fruit on and a load of others in conservatory which are just beginning to bear fruit but v. small and green at the moment.

Keep checking them in anticipation each day...

Kathyis6incheshigh Mon 30-Jul-07 15:13:09

I examine mine every day too! And talk to them: hopefully a bit of animated conversation will speed them up.

sazzybee Mon 30-Jul-07 15:15:36

Everything is very late this year because of the blardy rain. I suspect some of mine may never ripen

anchovies Mon 30-Jul-07 15:16:22

Have got a couple starting to turn red, am in the north west and also growing gardeners delight. The plants are looking a bit poorly to be honest but plenty of green toms so interested to see what happens really!

hippipotami Tue 31-Jul-07 11:49:34

I have ONE homegrown tomato, freshly picked this morning, I will slice it onto my cheese sandwich at lunchtime.
All the others are tiny, green, hard and very very unripe. (don't know how this one managed to grow)

Kathyis6incheshigh Tue 31-Jul-07 13:40:37

Congratulations on your tomato, Hippopotami.

TootyFrooty Tue 31-Jul-07 13:44:28

The leaves on our plants look terrible and the tomatoes are green. I had given up on them tbh but perhaps this sunshine will do the trick!

LazyLineLegilimens Tue 31-Jul-07 13:44:49

Am in the Midlands with gardeners delight in a greenhouse. Have some green fruit but has been like that for ages. This is my first go at tomatoes.

Do you reckon they will be alright outside in this weather or would they be better off in the greenhouse?

LazyLineLegilimens Tue 31-Jul-07 13:45:17

My leaves look all skanky too!

bundle Tue 31-Jul-07 13:46:25

we have had 3 tiny red cherry tomatoes. still waiting for the rest - and its neighbour, a plum tomato, to ripen

TootyFrooty Tue 31-Jul-07 13:47:28

Our greenhouse doesn't arrive for another 2 weeks. I think it'll be too late for this year now!

Kathyis6incheshigh Tue 31-Jul-07 13:48:06

Two of mine (one Sungold and one Marmande) have a fruit with a brown wrinkly patch on it - doesn't look good.

bundle Tue 31-Jul-07 13:51:47

we're in London but have northeast facing garden

eyesfront Tue 31-Jul-07 21:30:38

I've eaten a few Sungold but not very many, had to leave plants in pots that were too small as was moving house. Being in the greenhouse helped, but the plants are pretty pathetic this year. Very sad, i love a warm tomato that i've grown myself

Califrau Tue 31-Jul-07 21:36:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Kathyis6incheshigh Wed 01-Aug-07 09:39:18

That is great, Califrau - are you Not In England perchance?

littlerach Wed 01-Aug-07 09:46:30

We had our first really red ones 2 weeks ago. Near Bath.
But the birds have eaten lots o ft them now.
And our blueberries.

Califrau Wed 01-Aug-07 18:58:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheDuchessOfNorksBride Wed 01-Aug-07 19:54:01

Our entire tomato crop is rubbish this year. Spindly, hardly any fruit and it's all tiny and green. And that's against a wall, south facing in the blardy South. I think the rain just washed all the goodness out of the soil.

On the other hand, everything is great

TheDuchessOfNorksBride Wed 01-Aug-07 19:54:50

everything else is great.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now