Talk

Advanced search

So how tall are your sunflowers?

(13 Posts)
Jenkeylovesdazzy Sat 28-Jul-07 22:23:27

My mum's partner is a real 'anything you can do, I can better' sort of person - I was showing him my sunflower which is just flowering now and just over 8ft (need to get dh and step-ladder for official measuring) - anyway, he reckons that he once grew a sunflower which reached the eaves of his house..!

So anyone else got a tall-as-a-house sunflower?

wrinklygran Sun 29-Jul-07 14:05:17

not this year, ours are 4ft having spent a week in a foot of floodwater, last year they were 10-12ft . They like sweet peas grown with them and allowed to grow up thm.

tassisssss Sun 29-Jul-07 14:06:55

ds (aged 4) has grown them for the first time and they're over 6 ft. We're all very pleased for him!

jalopy Sun 29-Jul-07 19:10:51

Ours is about 5 foot but has no flower head. What's gone wrong?

Slubberdegullion Sun 29-Jul-07 19:13:38

Aprox 7cm. From this morning they are now in the bin. Embarrasingly mangy things they were, munched to death by some invisible predator.

Will try again next year.

yaddayah Sun 29-Jul-07 19:15:10

Sadly dh is addicted to watching gardeners world and I seem to remember they had a "special" on record breaking sunflowers (there were some up to the eaves) But I would say 8ft is highly respectable (ours are 6ft had the 1st sunflower come out last week)

Furball Sun 29-Jul-07 19:15:13

Mine are the same slubber, but they are planted in the garden, I can tell everyone they are miniture ones

Bit of a cheek - packet said they were giant ones.

Slubberdegullion Sun 29-Jul-07 19:18:09

My seeds came from the church. You think they would have recieved some sort of power blessing against infestation before being given out to the (hopeful) little children of the congregation.

Now I will have to invent some elaborate (un-Christian) lie to explain to the DD's why they are no longer on the window sill.

PrettyCandles Sun 29-Jul-07 19:34:45

Mine are also about 5-6', but no flower head. Why no flowers?

Jenkeylovesdazzy Sun 29-Jul-07 23:16:52

Mine are flowering but I did plant them months and months ago, easter time I think. Mine was officially measured today - 8ft1 or 246cm. I'm a proud mummy.

moondog Sun 29-Jul-07 23:18:44

About 5 foot but like PC no flowers yet.

FrannyandZooey Sun 29-Jul-07 23:19:29

ooh mine (ds's) are fab

will measure tomorrow

we have one with a flower on, the rest are coming. I would imagine it is because we have not had much sun and warmth as yet.

Slubber you won't be pushing for a MNWI sunflower comp then I take it?

PrettyCandles Mon 30-Jul-07 16:38:25

I have buds! I have buds!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: