Talk

Advanced search

Squeezing in too many plants

(8 Posts)
Doggydoggydoggy Tue 23-Apr-19 15:37:12

What is the worst that is likely to happen?

I have some small patches of earth that need filling, approx 60cm ish long by a little less, maybe 45 - 50cm. Full sun. Well drained soil.

My plan is to divide the small clumps of aster I already have into 2 or 3 small plants, plus three gaura ‘white sparkle’ which is meant to be a short 45cm high cultivar.

But Morrisons have verbena in, the tall, purple, perennial, airy one and I was just thinking how nice it might look mixed with the white gaura and purple/blue/pink asters....

Can I do it?

Minkies11 Tue 23-Apr-19 15:39:45

I always over plant - if you have taller stuff going in with shorter plants you might get away with it. I've just gone through the garden and backfilled the gaps - love a bursting flowerbed rather than one with gaps!

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 23-Apr-19 15:41:13

Dh always overplants and nothing seems to happen,garden always looks good.

Doggydoggydoggy Tue 23-Apr-19 17:35:30

Yes, except my research shows verbena can grow up to 6 feet, much higher than I thought, that won’t look right at all with asters and gaura which are both only around 30 -45cm tall I don’t think?

I’ll have to think of something else to stuff in there...

Minkies11 Tue 23-Apr-19 17:45:02

I've got some verbena which has sadly died right back - having great fun filling the gap . It was about 5 foot tall but very leggy. Have also planted Rudbeckia which I thought would be 40cm tall and neat and is now monstrous and swallowing everything around it blush

GarethSouthgatesWaistcoat Tue 23-Apr-19 21:14:28

I have quite a few gaps to fill! I need to get smarter with perennials to save myself the job of filling with annuals.

I have plenty of evergreen climbers and gorgeous shrubs but need to work at my 15-45cm planting!

sackrifice Wed 24-Apr-19 21:54:37

The worst that can happen is that the weaker plant doesn't thrive.

I squeeze plants in here there and everywhere.

PurpleWithRed Wed 24-Apr-19 21:56:41

Shove them all in, if it's Verbena Bonariensis it will get tall but mine only get to about 4 ft and they are very very airy/see through. they would probably look lovely.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »