Talk

Advanced search

Deadly nightshade or pretty bush?

(23 Posts)
RabbitseatDogs Mon 22-Apr-19 19:40:46

Would anyone be able to tell me if this is Deadly Nightshade?
I'm quite a random (rubbish) gardener and I can't remember if I planted it (from a boot sale/side of the road plant stall) or if it's Deadly Nightshade.
If it is Nightshade should I get rid of it? How do I get rid of it? Will it kill me/children/dog?

RabbitseatDogs Mon 22-Apr-19 19:45:15

Photos might help!

SailorJerry13 Mon 22-Apr-19 19:48:41

Yes I would say that was Nightshade x

RabbitseatDogs Mon 22-Apr-19 19:50:53

Oh shit! Shall I cut it down? I guess I can't put it in the compost. Burn it? Take to local dump?

SailorJerry13 Mon 22-Apr-19 19:52:15

Ps, only deadly when ingested, if your kids are young then make sure they know not to eat the berries - just two can kill a child.

It could also be Woody Nightshade ! Which isn’t as bad if I remember correctly

mostlydrinkstea Mon 22-Apr-19 19:54:06

It is part of the potato family. It does look like nightshade so it might be safer to dig it up using gloves and burn it.

RabbitseatDogs Mon 22-Apr-19 20:00:36

Thanks Sailor I'll look up Woody Nightshade. My children are 10 plus, so thankfully beyond the 'I'm just going to eat any random stuff I find' age. Is it ok to burn it? Will it give off Deadly Nightshade smoke and kill the village?
mostlydrinkstea my neighbour thought it might be a potato plant but then suggested Deadly Nightshade.
I was feeling very proud of my lovely bush, which seems to have sprung up over winter, until now.

fblake Mon 22-Apr-19 20:11:29

I'd say deadly nightshade with those flowers and leaves x

fblake Mon 22-Apr-19 20:13:40

Hope this helps

https://www.wyevalegardencentres.co.uk/tips-and-advice_how-to-control-deadly-nightshade

RabbitseatDogs Mon 22-Apr-19 20:21:55

Thanks fblake.
I don't know how it got there. I'm such an idiot for thinking I was growing a nice bush! I'll try and kill it tomorrow. Annoying it's right next to a rose bush I cultivated from a cutting from my late mother's garden and I'd be upset if I killed that in the process. I might take some cuttings of it before I kill the Nightshade - just in case.

Geneticsbunny Mon 22-Apr-19 22:22:50

There is no need to kill it. It is pretty. Weeds are just plants in the wrong place. If you like it then it is a "flower". Also if you don't want it you can just dig it is it and stick it on the compost. No need for pesticide.

RabbitseatDogs Mon 22-Apr-19 22:26:14

Geneticsbunny, I'm a big fan of weeds and have managed to grow quite a lot, very successfully. But, I'd rather not have a weed that can kill people.

bumblingbovine49 Mon 22-Apr-19 22:39:48

I wouldn't panic. I imagine you just cut it down/ dig it up and compost it before the berries appear.

You will probably need to.keep getting rid of new young shoots as they appear. The link given above will help you make sure it doesn't grow back to the state where it produces berries.

RabbitseatDogs Mon 22-Apr-19 23:00:59

Thanks Bumbling. Having Googled I thought I was about to kill everyone with my deadly plant. I'll chop it tomorrow, try and get as much of the roots and then leave the area clear so I can just keep pulling anything out as it appears.

I'm such a rubbish gardener!

Ohyesiam Mon 22-Apr-19 23:07:39

No , it’s definitely not deadly nightshade.
If it’s a nightahade it’s woody nightshade. It could also be potato vine.
Google some pictures.

HoneysuckIejasmine Mon 22-Apr-19 23:12:44

Looks like a standard solanum to me. We had one, our neighbours came over and asked us to dig it up. We reassured them if wasn't the deadly kind - we'd bought it at the garden center!

RabbitseatDogs Mon 22-Apr-19 23:28:33

Ahh, you've given me hope! I've Googled and I think the leaves look different but I'd err on the side of caution rather than risk anyone getting ill. I may have bought a plant and planted it there but I randomly buy plants and plant them, some survive and some don't (mostly don't). But, I obviously wouldn't have bought a plant labelled Deadly Nightshade so it's either something I planted or it's grown of it's own accord.
How could I get it definitively identified?
I'm not precious about it though so I'd rather chop it down than worry about it.

Ohyesiam Mon 22-Apr-19 23:36:45

this is deadly nightshade, nothing like your plant. Yours could be woody nightshade, which herbalists use for prostate problems, so in no way deadly. Or potato vine.
If it self seeded it’s likely to be woody nightshade

Ohyesiam Mon 22-Apr-19 23:38:31

Ps
When i googled it seems that lots of sites call woody n deadly n. But my first degree is in botany and I did my dissertation on poisonous plants!

LilyRed Mon 22-Apr-19 23:39:20

Looks quite like Solanum Crispum 'Glasnevin' - you could always tell the neighbours that's what it is grin

RabbitseatDogs Mon 22-Apr-19 23:48:58

Oh yes, thank you. That does reassure me and make more sense. I was rearranging it in a 'I'm so proud of my bush' moment when neighbour mentioned Deadly Nightshade. I then decided I felt unwell, and after Googling, thought I had trouble swallowing 🙄.
LilyRed yes I might do that😁. In all likehood I bought it at the side of the road for 50p but I also don't want to kill anyone.

Ohyesiam Tue 23-Apr-19 22:06:16

Lilyred thanks I couldn’t remember the Latin for potato vine, but it’s Solanum crispum

HumpHumpWhale Tue 23-Apr-19 22:13:19

I was v proud of myself for recognising solanum crispum glasnevin, but I see I've been beaten to it. It is a nightshade, but it's not poisonous. It does need fairly severe pruning though, it grows fast and huge if you let it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: