Talk

Advanced search

Anyone has artificial lawn installed?

(115 Posts)
ItsNiceItsDifferentItsUnusual Sat 20-Apr-19 11:32:29

We've got a v small garden where grass won't grow due to shade. Lawn area 25sqm.

Just been quoted £3000 for artificial grass, installed professionally, material taken away etc. We're a bit taken aback - is this expensive or were we being unrealistic?

Trying to get other quotes but not many people willing to come out.

HennyPennyHorror Sat 20-Apr-19 16:04:09

It is known to be expensive...it also stinks after a while. I honestly wouild not waste my money. If the garden is that small, why not just pave it and have planters with lovely things in them?

NotMaryWhitehouse Sat 20-Apr-19 17:09:02

Yeah, get it paved or gravel it and plant into gravel. Get some nice seating and some pots. Don't bother with the fake stuff.

edgen2019 Sat 20-Apr-19 17:23:09

We had artificial lawn laid seven years ago, cost about £7,000, due to health reasons. It has kept its shape and colour and does not smell at all, but get it done professionally, worth it in the end.

ItsNiceItsDifferentItsUnusual Sat 20-Apr-19 17:32:49

Thank you for responses. Had no idea about a potential smell! confused

CurlyhairedAssassin Sat 20-Apr-19 19:43:07

I really dislike the environmental impact of artificial grass.

I would make a courtyard garden. It could be beautiful. I’d have something like the picture

CurlyhairedAssassin Sat 20-Apr-19 19:44:50

Just seen that the lawn area is 25m square. Do you have borders or patio already?

ItsNiceItsDifferentItsUnusual Sun 21-Apr-19 06:14:15

We have raised flower beds round 2 x sides and then a small patio area by the house which provides the walk through between gate and house.

I agree with the environmental impact but my hope is for the dc to have a small area to play where it's softer. The raised beds are quite deep and fully planted and we also have a large fruiting cherry tree so the garden isn't completely barren.

Bluntness100 Sun 21-Apr-19 06:22:23

Op, you get grass seed for shaded areas. You can even buy it on amazon. Just over seed your current lawn.

Really don't go down the plastic grass route. It always always looks like plastic grass when you get anywhere close to it. If you resell it will put off a huge amount of buyers, and quite frankly who the hell wants to be hoovering their plastic grass or hosing off bird shit.

ItsNiceItsDifferentItsUnusual Sun 21-Apr-19 06:43:52

We've been trying to grow grass for 4 years now. We've had turf laid, it didn't take. For the last 3 years we've put seed down, including for shaded areas. It either doesn't take, or it does, but then dies once the weather turns properly warm, even when being watered every day.

We've honestly tried our best. I'm trying to make an area for my dc to play out of our very small space and at the moment artificial grass is looking like our best alternative. They're only 1 and 5 and so far every year they've not really had a garden to play in because we've been roping off the lawn trying to get it growing.

MamaTuska Sun 21-Apr-19 06:44:26

We have an artificial grass. I have went to companies for non toxic grass and quoted separately with local constructors for installation. It was cheaper. It has its benefits and drawbacks. Pros: Easy to clean, soft place for my baby to play, our dog only goes on the grass in the bottom of the garden but not artificial. Cons: it is more wet than the real grass. It has a very good filtration system underneath, however, the holes in the grass are not frequent enough to drain heavy rain. I hope it helps.

ItsNiceItsDifferentItsUnusual Sun 21-Apr-19 06:46:16

Thanks mama. In cases of heavy rain do you have to wait for it to drain or brush the water off?

Cheekyfeckery Sun 21-Apr-19 06:51:19

I have it. Garden was an unlevel patch of mud before hand, due to neighbouring tall trees.

Not cheap, no, but I’m glad I did it.

MamaTuska Sun 21-Apr-19 06:55:16

No way to brash it off as I have chosen a thick artificial grass (40mm). You have to patiently wait to dry. You might also have another thing to consider. Our grass is implemented in the patio and shaded by the umbrella. If you leave it in open sun it can get quite warm for us but too hot for the baby. They suggest to wet it if it is too hot so you might end up with a quite wet place for children to play in. Probably not a problem in a summer time.

ItsNiceItsDifferentItsUnusual Sun 21-Apr-19 06:55:32

Thank you cheeky. How have you found the upkeep?

Do you know what you do per sqm, for the whole job? Ours seems to be coming out over £100/sqm which seems high from research. Trying to get other quotes.

ItsNiceItsDifferentItsUnusual Sun 21-Apr-19 06:56:45

Thanks again mama! Hadn't thought of the heat.

Ivegotthree Sun 21-Apr-19 07:19:48

We have it and it doesn't stink!

We love it but lots of ppl on here are very anti it for eco reasons. Which is totally fair enough.

Ivegotthree Sun 21-Apr-19 07:22:58

Ok just RTFT. if you get good stuff you won't get smells or wetness. Ours is dry ten mins after heavy rain so we are out there all the time.

It is padded so when the DC were small it didn't matter if they fell over.

Every now and then I sweep up stray leaves eat. Hoover little bits eg blossom.

The fake grass changed our lives. It didn't put us off when we bought the house - it was a plus point!

ItsNiceItsDifferentItsUnusual Sun 21-Apr-19 07:30:04

Thank too ivegot! We're similarly hoping it will be life changing. Dc have nowhere outside to play at home at the moment.

Do you know at all what you paid per sqm, all in?

lpchill Sun 21-Apr-19 09:00:24

We have artificial grass. Love it.

Get more quotes. Look at your local companies I was quoted £2000 with a regional place then got it for £300 locally exact same product and work.

We only have a postage stamp of it as it's a mid terrace garden but we have a dog that likes to dig and a toddler.

It's lasting well. Occasionally will brush it with some water zaflora mix to clean it in the summer it will be slightly watered daily to make sure it won't smell from the dog wee.

Had no smell when it was installed. Had to hoover it once installed and it took a few weeks to settle as we had it installed it in the winter.

FinallyHere Sun 21-Apr-19 12:05:46

Another vote for https://www.easigrass.com

We have it gif a small patch which was just mud and moss. Get it professionally installed including the padding to make it attractive to play on.

Lots of other wildlife friendly options in other parts of the garden including a giant buddleia bush.

RandomUsernameHere Sun 21-Apr-19 12:09:32

Another vote for easigrass
It is worth paying the extra to have it done properly as weeds can get through otherwise

ItsNiceItsDifferentItsUnusual Sun 21-Apr-19 12:11:21

Ok great. It's easigrass we're dealing with. Am convinced they'll do a good job but they're just coming out quite a bit higher than even the highest estimates online.

Dh has just had a missed call from the man who came out yesterday so he'll ring him this afternoon and see if there's any wriggle room.

HippyHobbitHumper Tue 23-Apr-19 14:20:20

I guess artificial grass is the formula feed of the Gardening forum...

Doggydoggydoggy Tue 23-Apr-19 15:06:17

Personally, I would like to see it banned.
The last thing the world needs is more plastic.

What about a deep layer of bark instead so the kids have somewhere ‘soft’ as you say to play and you could do nice flowers and shrubs around it to make a nice courtyard garden as a pp suggested?

Or..
you could try Ajuga?
It’s low growing, pretty purple colour, likes shade, perennial, I believe it is evergreen but better double check.
I imagine it would tolerate light foot traffic?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »