Talk

Advanced search

Tree in garden.

(5 Posts)
CupcakeDrama Sat 20-Apr-19 11:28:32

Hi I am
probably asking a very stupid question as this is the first time Ive had a garden so I know nothing, ive always lived in flats. I have this huge tree in my garden. I love it due to privacy, my garden backs onto another but its so huge and after say 2pm I get no sun in my garden. Can it be cut down without cutting the whole thing? Its a council house and my sister said if I mention it to the they will cut it down but I dont want it completely gone. Any advice?

GarethSouthgatesWaistcoat Sat 20-Apr-19 15:43:27

Not a stupid question!

How tall is it approximately? Can you identify the variety, or post a picture of the leaves on here?
Does it lose its leaves in winter?
Are there any flowers, fruits or seeds?

I have a very tall tree in my garden and I've raised the crown so sun comes through under the canopy. I've also thinned the branches somewhat so it's a more open shape. It will depend on the species of tree as to whether this is possible with yours.

I understand a lot of councils no longer provide tree services due to budget cuts. It might be different in your area.

yamadori Sat 20-Apr-19 17:07:03

It looks like some sort of conifer to me. Be careful when cutting it back, they don't grow again from cut branch stumps like a deciduous tree or hedge would. You have to leave some green on a branch or it will die.

Perhaps you could have the crown lifted (that means completely removing the lower branches), and then take out half of the remainder at the top. That would let in a lot more light and would take up much less space.

CupcakeDrama Sat 20-Apr-19 21:03:11

This is a picture of it from my bedroom window dont know if thats any clearer but I live in a gf maisonette and its taller than the building. Cant get a picture of the leaves as the branches are too high up I googled conifer and I think thats what it is, its green all year round no flowers or anything.

ticketsonsalenow Sat 20-Apr-19 21:19:18

I'd contact the tree officer at your local council then, and ask them to come out and have a look at it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »