Talk

Advanced search

Little tree

(12 Posts)
AlexaAmbidextra Thu 18-Apr-19 00:24:10

I want a little tree. Something that will look nice but be minimum maintenance and not grow too big. Any ideas please?

MountainPeakGeek Thu 18-Apr-19 00:34:42

One of the smaller Japanese Maple varieties?

Sillybilly1234 Thu 18-Apr-19 00:35:46

@MountainPeakGeek

That was exactly what I was going to say.

Titsywoo Thu 18-Apr-19 00:35:54

How little? We have an ornamental crab apple in our front garden. It's only 2m tall but covered in beautiful blossom in spring.

AlexaAmbidextra Thu 18-Apr-19 01:01:33

I’m getting rid of a full size crab apple as I’m sick to death of having to pick up 300 crab apples every year. 2m sounds a good height though. I’ll have a look at Japanese Maple. Are they the lovely red ones sometimes called Acer?

LemonThyme83 Thu 18-Apr-19 01:53:14

This site lists some small acers: https://www.ornamental-trees.co.uk/japanese-maple-trees-for-small-gardens-c197

I have a Beni Maiko from the local garden centre - the bright red leaves out right now in spring are fantastic

Minimal to no pruning, but they are slow growing and deciduous so there will be leaves falling in autumn to deal with

AlexaAmbidextra Thu 18-Apr-19 01:59:04

Thank you. I really should be going to bed now rather than looking at trees. 😂

PigeonofDoom Thu 18-Apr-19 08:23:39

A mini flowering cherry- prunus koji no mai. They’re super dinky!

florentina1 Thu 18-Apr-19 08:23:57

Acer Sango Kaku is stunning all year. Scarlet stems all winter then the leaves go through greens and bronzes.

florentina1 Thu 18-Apr-19 08:27:35

If not the above, then I would get one of these in a dwarf variety. I have all three and they are stunning, easy to care for and prune.
Amelanchier
Robinia Frisia
Robinia Casque Rouge.

Sunonthepatio Thu 18-Apr-19 09:03:04

Sorbus cashmiriama or pyrus salicifolia. If you get a crabapple think about what colour crabapples -the orange ones are nice. There are yellow and red too. I have one, and make crabapple jelly every year from it.

AlexaAmbidextra Sun 21-Apr-19 22:57:37

Thank you for all your suggestions. I’m going to have a look at them.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »