Talk

Advanced search

What can I plant under this tree?

(7 Posts)
Miljah Wed 17-Apr-19 12:34:24

Hampshire, clay subsoil, pictures taken looking to the SE.

The tree is a flowering crab.

Currently, the successful plants beneath are hellebore, ferns and cyclamen. To the front (on the bricks) are oregano, sweet woodruff (I know!) and - um, what's the middle one? Tumble of purple flowers around now, if in full sun. This needs to be relocated out of the shade. It grows well but the flowers are lacklustre.

I want some 'interest' in the foreground, the blank barked bit.

I don't really do frowzy, blowsy blooms, but foliage, or white/purple/blue flowers are all okay.

I also generally don't mess around with annuals except in pots, either.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Beebumble2 Wed 17-Apr-19 13:28:32

How about Erysimum, perennial wallflower. Mine flower for virtually 12 months. Erysimum Bowles has purple flowers, but you can get orange, yellow and red. I’ve just got a fantastic red variety, it looks great alongside a plant with silver foliage.

Imicola Wed 17-Apr-19 14:26:31

Hardy geraniums are good to give ground cover, plus some colour.

Beebumble2 Wed 17-Apr-19 14:29:15

Ooh yes I’d second hardy geraniums, loads of varieties.

Miljah Wed 17-Apr-19 14:38:27

Thanks. Do you think silver foliage would be okay in shade? The plant I was trying to name was campanula!

Am going to look up your suggestions now.

everywhichway Wed 17-Apr-19 15:32:50

Maybe also consider Erythroniums or Epimediums, both of which have white varieties as well as other colours. Or perhaps Heuchera.

peridito Wed 17-Apr-19 15:51:52

I feel such a bore always suggesting the same things but

forget me knots

lamium - white nancy and beacon silver

are good ground cover and containable

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: