Talk

Advanced search

Summer flowering

(6 Posts)
daffodilbrain Tue 16-Apr-19 22:27:32

What can I plant now for summer flower (plant or seed) in a garden which is clay soil

peridito Wed 17-Apr-19 09:00:58

Will it be v sunny ? Shady ?

Erysimum 'Bowles' Mauve www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/91464/i-Erysimum-i-Bowles-s-Mauve/Details

fuschia

buddleia

achillea

echinacea

Verbena bonariensis 'Lollipop

Agapanthus Blue Storm = 'Atiblu' (PBR) (Storm Series)

hardy geraniums

sackrifice Wed 17-Apr-19 09:05:31

Pretty much most things that flower in the summer. I have just sown loads of summer annuals and will sow another lot soon.

Go to a good garden nursery and they should have small pots of summer flowers ready about now, my fave to buy is anagallis but my plants from last year are still alive so I don't even have to sow them.

Also herbs usually flower all summer if you let them. My rosemary is out already and loads of thymes ready to pop.

daffodilbrain Wed 17-Apr-19 10:07:09

It's mainly sunny. But I do have a strip in the shade. Yes my rosemary is stunning this year too. My garden has a lot of herbaceous plants and needs more shrubs so I want some carefree summer colour

ImTheRealHFella Wed 17-Apr-19 10:10:28

The dahlias love my sunny clay garden. Always beautiful.
As does the rose (David Austin, variety is Olivia Rose Austin I think)
Astrantia does well
Heuchera are great for good fill ins and leaf colour variety. Mine don't seen to mind the full sun.

WellTidy Wed 17-Apr-19 11:17:56

Salvia, penstemons, astrantia too. Hydrangea?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »