Talk

Advanced search

Bamboo

(6 Posts)
daffodilbrain Tue 16-Apr-19 20:29:11

I have a large bamboo plant. I don't do anything to it. Should I? How do I take a cutting? Would said cutting survive in a pot?

Beebumble2 Tue 16-Apr-19 21:08:38

If it’s pot bound you could repotit into a larger pot. If you want more plants, take it out of the pot and split it up, repot.

daffodilbrain Tue 16-Apr-19 22:25:46

It's just in the ground DH bought a struggling plant for £1.50 now it's about 2 metres across and 12ft high - am i ok to try and split ?

Beebumble2 Wed 17-Apr-19 07:25:18

Yes, if it’s in the ground and you can get it out. They have tough roots and do spread.
Usually because of the spreading habit, it’s best to plant it with a barrier around it. Something like a large plastic pot or a big thought garden refuse bag.
They are quite tough plants, so be bold!

Beebumble2 Wed 17-Apr-19 07:26:07

* tough garden bag.

Imicola Wed 17-Apr-19 14:24:03

Be careful, our last house had a huge spreading bamboo problem coming from the neighbours. The roots can spread a long way underground and send up new shoots, and it is very difficult to get rid of it. Depends on which variety it is, but if it has spread to 2m across I'd assume its a spreading variety and as a pp said, make sure you install a deep root barrier to avoid later problems.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: