Talk

Advanced search

Any lawn experts?

(7 Posts)
clandestinenetwork Tue 16-Apr-19 16:51:12

This is my first foray into the Gardening section of MN - please be kind grin

Four weeks ago I used Miracle Gro Evergreen 4 in 1 lawn food. The moss has died off and the lawn is looking now looking nice and green and healthy. Winner.

However, there are some bare / sparse patches that I would like to seed. The lawn food packaging said wait 8 weeks before seeding; do I really need to wait this long? It seems quite excessive. I'm happy to if need be, but I was wondering with the rain we've had if I might be ok to seed it sooner?

Any advice much appreciated.

wowfudge Tue 16-Apr-19 20:22:57

It's because of the weedkiller that's in the Evergreen - you need to be sure it has fully degraded in the soil before you plant anything.

clandestinenetwork Tue 16-Apr-19 20:41:26

I thought that might be the case. But then the weed killer isn't killing my existing grass? Is it because the seeds are more vulnerable?

wowfudge Tue 16-Apr-19 21:18:21

I'm not sure - if it doesn't rain within X amount of time of treating the lawn you have to wet it and the weed killer is washed off blades of grass, but not other things.

gobbin Tue 16-Apr-19 21:24:42

When you do reseed, I would recommend Wilko grass seed. I’ve just patched up three large areas in my lawn and it has germinated superbly well, better than much more expensive stuff used in the past.

clandestinenetwork Wed 17-Apr-19 14:06:44

@wowfudge I did indeed have to give it a hose as we had no rain for a couple of days free I fed it.

@gobbin That's a great tip - thank you!

clandestinenetwork Wed 17-Apr-19 14:06:55

After I fed it...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »