Talk

Advanced search

Bee friendly low maintenance natural flowers?

(39 Posts)
newmumwithquestions Sat 06-Apr-19 07:17:45

Hello. Advice appreciated.

We have a mound of earth (about 7 x 5 m?) i’d like to cover with flowers.
We already have trees and will be planting different ones so want lower level cover here. It’s in an area with trees on two sides and a wall on another so is in partial shade, but most (though not all) of the mound does get some sun. Happy to plant different things on the gets sun/doesn’t get sun part of it.

Soil isn’t great- topsoil no longer there and it feels pretty Clay-y to me but I don’t know much about this really so could have this wrong. (the soil is supposed to be chalky in this area).

The garden is bad for bees so I’d really like to give them some food so am thinking native, high nectar, maybe lavender (thought I thought this liked sandy soil and full sun?). I’m happy for it to look pretty wild and meadow like (it’s next to the tree’d area with lots of ground elder and nettles)- self seeding annuals would work well.

Oh and once established I want to do very little work - this area will need to cope with neglect!

Thankyou.

Meretricious Thu 11-Apr-19 06:54:54

Borage, cerinthe, and calendula all self seed brilliantly in my clay soil.

candycane222 Wed 10-Apr-19 21:42:32

Loads of good suggestions here. Yy to marjoram, v tough and keeps some leaves over winter. Another plant that does this is bugle - (ajuga) flowers quite early and bumblebees adore it. Other end of the size scale is purple loosestrife. Big clumps of vivid magenta-purple spires in late summer that can top 5' and also loved by bees and butterflies. Self seeds too. But it's definitely a beast!

78percentLindt Wed 10-Apr-19 21:31:31

I have terrible clay soil- goes rock hard quickly and water logged in winter, doesn't matter how much home brewed compost we dig in. As mentioned above lavender andd rosemary grow well in it, and last year Cosmos seemed to be popular. Also borage, marjoram, and thyme- although the common thyme seems most popular. I haven't had much success with sage, or any other salvia species, previously although I seem to have one at the moment which has lasted a couple of years. I have the perenial geraniums - both blue and pink, which grow like weeds and attract bees. So do chives but they have ended up as a weed- I planted some 20 years ago and am still getting rid of them- similarly grape hyacinths

GiantKitten Wed 10-Apr-19 21:12:21

I saw these bee bombs mentioned somewhere recently - probably an expensive way of doing it but sounds quite reliable.

Bees here seemed keen on my blue geraniums last year, as well as lavender, & also campanula (I think blue/purple is as popular as yellow?)

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B077C9BC96/ref=sspa_mw_detail_3?smid=A3FBX4NF0JZLUW&psc=1&tag=mumsnetforu03-21&ie=UTF8

greenelephantscarf Wed 10-Apr-19 21:07:42

ceanothus - some are sterile and don't feed bees.
try to see them in bloom in a garden centre and see if there are bees about.

Harebellsies Wed 10-Apr-19 20:48:57

Oh the Buddleia Conundrum - feeds the butterflies but encourages egg laying too, without feeding the caterpillars. So be careful with buddleia and please consider the entire life cycle.

Narya Wed 10-Apr-19 14:53:56

Another vote for lavender and rosemary. they grow well in crap soil and need pretty much no maintenance. Also sage - we have a couple of different varieties including a lovely ornamental red one that flowers all summer.

Ceanothus (California lilac) is fab for bees but might be a bit big for the space you describe.

Sweet williams are good but they don't flower the first year so require some patience!

MummysBusy Wed 10-Apr-19 14:42:37

Seconding the pulmonaria (lungwort). The bees are going crazy for mine, so we're planning on planting much more of it! Flowers quite early too.

You could also get some fancy buddlia
Buddleja buzz is a good little plant. Flowers from around june until late summer, never gets all that big and doesnt spread. We have decided to get a common one too though, the seeded ones arent hard to spot and pull up.

Ariela Wed 10-Apr-19 09:14:53

You could also get some fancy buddlia, not just the common one that grows everywhere as a weed. There are some really pretty ones in other colours/shades than the usual plain purple, ranging from white to a deep reddy purple. It grows anywhere really easily, all we do with ours is hack it down at this time of year and it springs up again with lovely flowers most of the summer and the bees and butterflies love it.

www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/how-to-grow/10-best-buddleias-grow-attract-butterflies/

madeyemoodysmum Wed 10-Apr-19 08:52:48

Our bees love my lavender. We also grow nigella and cornflowers in between. It looks so pretty but they need regular dead heading to keep the flowers and I cut the woody bits of lavender away in autumn.

SpamChaudFroid Wed 10-Apr-19 08:46:46

I grow Astrantia and Aquilegia in my shady courtyard. They're low maintenance and come back year after year. The bees love them both, I also grew some lobelia in hanging baskets and windowboxes, which they were mad for. I'd had very few bees and butterflies in my garden before, and last year (first time I got to grips with gardening) it was buzzing with them.

Don't do what I did though and lovingly tend to a gang of sawfly lavae thinking they were caterpillars. blush

MrsBertBibby Wed 10-Apr-19 08:37:30

(Pulmonaria = lungwort)

MrsBertBibby Wed 10-Apr-19 08:36:50

I was going to say pulmonaria is a really valuable bee plant for emerging bumble queens, and handsome all year round with lovely blotched leaves

Harebellsies Tue 09-Apr-19 20:16:46

For early spring, lungwort. For the summer gap, comfrey. Both unfussy and i find them pretty. Will return every year. Suitable for shade.

buckeejit Tue 09-Apr-19 12:54:51

Yes-scabious is great & some lovely shades of it!

KizzyWayfarer Tue 09-Apr-19 08:28:11

Just to add that deadnettle can be very spreading so don’t set up anything delicate in competition with it (or choose a cultivated type that has been bred to be more contained).

KizzyWayfarer Tue 09-Apr-19 08:00:21

One of the things you’re supposed to do to help bees is have plants flowering in every season. Check out this list: friendsoftheearth.uk/bees/beefriendly-plants-every-season
The perennial wallflower ‘Bowles mauve’ is on the list. The one I have flowers literally all year round but it is in a very sunny spot. Clover is amazing for honey bees but probably prefers a bit more sun.
Especially if the trees shading the mound are deciduous you could get a nice lot of spring bulbs in, of the less overbred types, also maybe celandines and wild wood anemones. White, yellow and red deadnettle (Lamium) are good in shade, have lots of nectar, and there are some pretty variegated types.

MrsBertBibby Tue 09-Apr-19 07:47:59

Oh you could get a perennial scabious! They don't mind partial shade and the bees love them.

Bagpuss5 Tue 09-Apr-19 07:40:54

Aquilegia are one of the earliest to flower, so bees go for it, and do spread themselves. Mine has a maroon coloured flower, rather than a new exotic type, and is tough as I keep trying to get rid of it but it just reappears

Bagpuss5 Tue 09-Apr-19 07:37:19

Welsh poppies self seed in my garden. I presume bees go for them. The shrub I notice bees on is cotoneaster when it flowers. Lots of tiny flowers. Good for ground cover if you need it, though takes a few years.

MrsBertBibby Tue 09-Apr-19 07:37:03

Aliums are absolute bee magnets, and very self sufficient. Chives also.

One of my great Joy's is yellow Welsh poppies, which self seed and generally thrive on neglect. Bumbles get in them and go round and round and round, buzzing like mad. Gorgeous.

Also snapdragons. I will never forget my toddler laughing and laughing at the bumbles going in and out of them.

MrsBertBibby Tue 09-Apr-19 07:32:39

Daffodils are of little or no use to pollinators as they are so highly bred. Tulips and gladioli may be the same. As may be some penstemons : ultimately, the more we mess with flowers to make them showy, the less interesting they are to insects.

DeathMetalMum Tue 09-Apr-19 07:29:23

Ah i forgot about my sedum brilliant for later summer flowers.

DeathMetalMum Tue 09-Apr-19 07:27:56

I have more shrub style plants in my garden that the bees love. Hebe - as soon as it flowers it is a bee magnet, salvia - hot lips also loved by bees, also wallflower. I have thyme and oregano in a pot that are also really popular once they've flowered.

buckeejit Tue 09-Apr-19 07:26:46

All good suggestions - get some sedum in there too & if stuck a buddleia. I have similar space & have wildflowers the last few years but doing a. Mix this year. Fennel is also good

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »