Talk

Advanced search

Removing decking to (re)make a garden.

(4 Posts)
SylvanianFrenemies Sat 23-Mar-19 15:29:33

Planning to view a house that appears to have decking over the entire back garden!

Any thoughts on how hard/expensive it would be to rip it all up and put down lawn and beds?

Beebumble2 Sat 23-Mar-19 16:46:23

Removing the decking yourself would just be a couple of hours hard work. The rest depends on what you find underneath. In the worst scenario it could be concrete.
I’d ask the owner.

Gorse Sat 23-Mar-19 22:26:17

I cannot understand why some people board over large areas of their precious outdoor space. It's a disaster for wildlife (except for rats, who are rather partial to the shelter that decking provides). Who wouldn't rather have flowers, vegetables and garden birds?

SylvanianFrenemies Sun 24-Mar-19 09:38:31

Thank You! It hadn't occurred to me to ask what's underneath, definitely will. Hoping it is just soil.

Totally agree with not understanding why people obliterate their gardens like this. We are so looking forward to having a garden, but I'd say 10% of the houses I've looked at online have replaced their garden with masses of grim decking. I can't imagine in all cases it's an accessibility thing, as often there are multiple levels etc.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »