Talk

Advanced search

Daphne for north facing corner

(14 Posts)
BooseysMom Fri 22-Mar-19 13:16:52

Hello
Just watched The Instant Gardener which I love and they featured a Daphne Eternal Fragrance which is winter flowering. We are in the UK midlands with an extremely cloggy clay soil and I want to plant something to provide winter interest and fragrance preferably near to the house. The position is a corner of the house which is north facing and gets no sun in the winter but alot in the summer. Am I crazy to consider Daphne?! If I can't have this, what can I have in such a spot?
Thanks in advance for any replies

LiveFatsDieYoGnu Fri 22-Mar-19 13:26:23

I have no idea if Daphne would be happy with that, but a possible alternative would be sarcococca - it flowers in winter, smells delicious and will grow pretty much anywhere!

BooseysMom Fri 22-Mar-19 15:13:23

LiveFatsDieYoGnu..thanks for replying. Just looked up Sarcococca and it's Sweet Box which I didn't realise. It's also on my list from the Instant Gardener. A good alternative. Thanks for your help.

everywhichway Fri 22-Mar-19 15:44:16

I have Daphne Jacqueline Postill growing in exactly such a position (though not on heavy clay). It's now 2m high and has been covered head to toe in extremely fragrant flowers this year.

peridito Fri 22-Mar-19 17:35:51

I've got a Sarcococca and it might just be the position I have it in ( rather shady ) but it is very slow growing .

MrsBertBibby Fri 22-Mar-19 18:13:08

Sarcococca isn't keen on full sun. Mine gets too much, I think, and doesn't look too happy. And very slow growing!

Daphne sounds a better bet to me.

Laterthanyouthink Fri 22-Mar-19 18:17:58

Viburnum might suit too?

BooseysMom Fri 22-Mar-19 20:55:04

Thanks everyone. All very useful smile

Sunonthepatio Sat 23-Mar-19 17:23:16

I have had a daphne odora aureomarginata in a pot for a decade, and it's doing very well. It seems to tolerate sun or shade, as we've moved it, but apparently they don't like wet feet.,

BooseysMom Sat 23-Mar-19 19:41:22

Sunonthepatio.. thanks for your msg. I was thinking a pot as it prob won't stand our heavy clay soil. I'll see if i can get odora aureomarginata. Is it winter flowering?

Sunonthepatio Sun 24-Mar-19 15:40:34

Yes it is. The Daphne odora is green and the aureomarginata green with white or yellow edges to the leaves. They flower pink and are just coming to an end now.

BooseysMom Mon 25-Mar-19 09:06:24

@Sunonthepatio.. thank you. smile yesterday I came across this beautifully scented plant in a pub garden. I think it must be honeysuckle. The fragrance was intense. It was in a shady corner too.

Thesuzle Mon 25-Mar-19 09:09:00

Looks more like a winter flowering jasmine to me

BooseysMom Mon 25-Mar-19 10:02:50

Ah thanks @Thesuzle .. grin.. a possible one for my shady corner

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »