Talk

Advanced search

Ideas for a large-ish container plant for a shady corner?

(7 Posts)
viccat Fri 22-Mar-19 12:43:27

I have a bare corner between the house, fence and the edge of a raised bed. It's concrete so needs something in a container - probably a 50cm container is the best fit. It doesn't get much sun at all.

I would love something that will grow reasonably tall (a metre or so at least), ideally perennial. Also needs to be non-toxic for cats. Flowers are a plus but something with just impressive foliage will do as well.

handslikecowstits Fri 22-Mar-19 17:22:05

Haven't posted in this section for jonks! Anyway...

Fatsia japonica is your friend. Jungly foliage and white flowers once it matures. It can grow in the ground or large container(mine is in a small dustbin) and unless you live somewhere very cold, it'll be hardy. You can prune it if it gets too big and cuttings root easily (if you fancy two!)

www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/7147/Fatsia-japonica/Details

handslikecowstits Fri 22-Mar-19 17:23:02

oh and it's non toxic to pets.

viccat Sat 23-Mar-19 09:38:25

Thank you, looks good! And it's on offer at GardeningExpress where I'm currently building a shopping list/fantasy basket so even better smile

Moondancer73 Sat 23-Mar-19 09:40:14

A big tall frondy fern? Not massively expensive and they fill a space nicely.

BumboBaggins Sat 23-Mar-19 18:02:59

A camellia.

allnewredfairy Sun 24-Mar-19 17:44:09

Hydrangeas do well in pots and there are a huge variety out there. I don't know if they are toxic to cats but I have cats AND hydrangeas and not had any problems.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »