Talk

Advanced search

What shall I plant here? (pic included)

(12 Posts)
MellyPapa Thu 21-Mar-19 14:26:35

Please bare with me as I have very little gardening knowledge!

I have this area of ground in the garden which up until last year was completely covered in bark chips and weed prevention sheet. I peeled it back to the middle of the area last year and planted a couple of things that didn't grow too well, sunflowers mainly. The cornflowers did ok and the Lupin surivived with a lot of liquid feeding - you can see it growing back on the right side of the pic.

Today I have dug the ground over and extended the patch by the same again.

The problem I have is it seems to be clay soil and there are also quite a few large stones (half palm to palm sized) which I've picked out as I've gone but there are a few more. I have compost to add but I wasn't sure if I should mix it all the way through or just use on top? Do I need to add Gypsum or anything?

Lastly, what do you think would grow well and look good here?
(The fence here faces South so it gets sun most of the day)

MellyPapa Thu 21-Mar-19 14:28:30

Should add I'm in East Scotland so limits some choices for plants!

redredrobins Thu 21-Mar-19 15:00:48

put some wires up the fence and plant sweet peas, they love the sun and are very colourful. They will give you something pretty there for the spring and you can take your time on deciding what to plant permanently. keep picking them and they will keep making more flowers!

bloodywhitecat Thu 21-Mar-19 15:26:13

Don't do as I did and plant a chicken! (You rescue a bunch of battery hens and they thank you by reshaping your garden!)

You could grow an everlasting sweetpea

Beebumble2 Thu 21-Mar-19 16:11:01

Roses love clay soil, so a climbing rose would be lovely, especially if it was repeat flowering with a scent.
I’d gently fork in some soil improver rather than just compost. It comes in bags from the garden centre.
Have a look on the RHS website for plants that enjoy a sunny spot.
In the Autumn plant some bulbs for the following spring.

BumboBaggins Thu 21-Mar-19 22:03:42

Yes a climbing rose would be lovely. I have clay soil and they love it and especially on a south facing fence. Perfect conditions. You could work in some rose food into the soil before you plant. Based on what has worked in similar conditions in my own garden, Aster Monch also looks lovely. If you wanted something fast growing that would quickly get to a good height for a country garden feel, verbena. My campanula alba did brilliantly in their first year. The list goes on! Depends if you want flowers shrubs or a combination of both.

MellyPapa Fri 22-Mar-19 14:28:24

Thanks All!

bloodywhitecat I would really love to keep chickens one day. Do you think the one ou planted will grow more? grin

These are great suggestions. I hadn't thought of roses, good to know they like clay soil so will look into that. Sweet peas are a great idea. Definitiely want to try a climber there. Next door's clematis tried to make it's way through last year but wrapped itself around the sunflowers which promptly blew over in the wind! blush.

Country garden is a definitely a theme I'd like to try for, so thanks for the ideas, Bumbo

Sunonthepatio Sun 24-Mar-19 08:54:25

If you have a ride, plant clematis viticella at the same time. They grow through the rise, are cut back in spring, and flower at a different time to the rose.

Sillybonkers Sun 24-Mar-19 08:58:49

Iris and lavender both do well heavy soil with full sun.

Iggly Sun 24-Mar-19 09:02:33

Try adding horticultural grit - you can get small bags from the garden centre

Did your sunflowers die or not sprout at all? I have a massive battle with slugs and sunflowers and have to start them off in pots first to give them a fighting chance!

I planted dahlias in similar soil and in a sunny spot and they did incredibly well. I started the tubers in large pots then planted them out in June. I was so impressed even though it’s heavy clay and very stony.

Courgettes also did well in similar soil.

BumboBaggins Sun 24-Mar-19 10:05:56

My dahlias also did incredibly well in similar conditions. Likewise lavender.

brizzlemint Sun 24-Mar-19 10:09:42

Stinging nettles do well angry but I prefer my geraniums which are great ground cover and do well round the lavender.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: