Talk

Advanced search

Anyone know what this is?

(8 Posts)
Bluntness100 Mon 25-Mar-19 13:56:39

I have this in my garden, I can't say in the five years I've been here it's spread much, maybe a tiny amount, it's quite striking. Interesting to see what it is, I thought it was an ornamental thistle.

WinnerWinnerChickenDinner0 Thu 21-Mar-19 17:39:15

Oh, very glad I asked. I’ll just bring it back a bit and see if it flowers this year.
Thanks so much

Peleus Thu 21-Mar-19 10:11:27

I think it is acanthus too. I agree that you don't want to let it spread too much. Maybe observe it for a couple of summers and see if it flowers. Mine hasn't for at least two years, so I think I will get on it and dig the lot out.

Beebumble2 Thu 21-Mar-19 10:04:18

Oops I meant Acanthus! It can be poisonous to dogs.

MrsAird Thu 21-Mar-19 09:41:58

I think this might be acanthus spinosus. If so , it is not regarded as a weed but as a striking perennial, but it does have a reputation for being invasive. I grow mine in a bucket sunk in the ground with the base removed.

Beebumble2 Thu 21-Mar-19 09:41:43

Keep digging it out as it appears and you will eventually weaken the plant.

Beebumble2 Thu 21-Mar-19 09:40:51

It looks like Aconite, known as monks hood or wolfbane. It is poinsionous so it’d get rid of it.

WinnerWinnerChickenDinner0 Thu 21-Mar-19 09:16:04

I have this growing in my garden. It is spreading out a bit so I tried to remove some of it and it has the most god awful root system so am assuming it must be a weed. Any ideas what it is and and tips to get rid of it. The roots are so deep that tim worried it will keep coming back if I don’t get them all out

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »