Talk

Advanced search

Anyone know what this is?

(8 Posts)
WinnerWinnerChickenDinner0 Thu 21-Mar-19 09:16:04

I have this growing in my garden. It is spreading out a bit so I tried to remove some of it and it has the most god awful root system so am assuming it must be a weed. Any ideas what it is and and tips to get rid of it. The roots are so deep that tim worried it will keep coming back if I don’t get them all out

Beebumble2 Thu 21-Mar-19 09:40:51

It looks like Aconite, known as monks hood or wolfbane. It is poinsionous so it’d get rid of it.

Beebumble2 Thu 21-Mar-19 09:41:43

Keep digging it out as it appears and you will eventually weaken the plant.

MrsAird Thu 21-Mar-19 09:41:58

I think this might be acanthus spinosus. If so , it is not regarded as a weed but as a striking perennial, but it does have a reputation for being invasive. I grow mine in a bucket sunk in the ground with the base removed.

Beebumble2 Thu 21-Mar-19 10:04:18

Oops I meant Acanthus! It can be poisonous to dogs.

Peleus Thu 21-Mar-19 10:11:27

I think it is acanthus too. I agree that you don't want to let it spread too much. Maybe observe it for a couple of summers and see if it flowers. Mine hasn't for at least two years, so I think I will get on it and dig the lot out.

WinnerWinnerChickenDinner0 Thu 21-Mar-19 17:39:15

Oh, very glad I asked. I’ll just bring it back a bit and see if it flowers this year.
Thanks so much

Bluntness100 Mon 25-Mar-19 13:56:39

I have this in my garden, I can't say in the five years I've been here it's spread much, maybe a tiny amount, it's quite striking. Interesting to see what it is, I thought it was an ornamental thistle.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: