Talk

Advanced search

Please suggest a (very) small tree for a tricky site

(17 Posts)
Cedilla Tue 19-Mar-19 19:46:45

I've been asked to find a suitable tree for a restricted space and I'm not convinced it's possible.

It couldn't be any taller or have an overall spread bigger than roughly 2 metres. Pretty much everything I've found (and I've researched quite thoroughly) will grow much bigger than that. It also really needs to have a nice, rounded shape. Ideally I'd like some nice autumn interest so colourful foliage would be good, but I'm drawing a blank so far (love the idea of a forest pansy but again, too big).

I'd go for an acer but it's a windy/cold site so that's no good. Now thinking of a large shrub but thought I'd ask here for any ideas I've missed. Help me, MN gardening experts!

awkwardturtle Tue 19-Mar-19 19:54:10

Amelanchier Ballerina? Lovely blossom, autumn colour. Probably too big but could be pruned to keep it small?

Bluntness100 Tue 19-Mar-19 19:57:34

Not colourful in autumn but evergreen, and beautiful, I'd consider a camellia and just keep it pruned to the size you wish,

Cedilla Tue 19-Mar-19 20:00:41

Lovely idea awkward and I'd jump at that if it was in the garden, but I think it might get too big, unfortunately sad

It's for a very enclosed space between buildings and if it got too big would be tricky.

Cedilla Tue 19-Mar-19 20:07:31

Hadn't thought of a camellia Bluntness , but I just looked it up and we're on chalk soil....aaargh

MrsAird Tue 19-Mar-19 20:10:19

Juniper Skyrocket?

malus Laura crab apple

Amelanchier Obelisk I have read elsewhere that this is most unlikely to get to 4m, and it would be easy to prune it if necessary without spoiling the shape.

spaniorita Tue 19-Mar-19 20:12:28

Some sort of Acer? They don't get massive and look amazing come autumn.

spaniorita Tue 19-Mar-19 20:15:40

Like this...

porridgeface Tue 19-Mar-19 20:15:42

https://www.wyevalegardencentres.co.uk/product/malus-x-r-red-sentinel-m27-rootstock-115ltr-pot/p0850036332

What about that little crab apple tree?

(I'm no expert, I've just been trying to find little trees for my garden!) x

Friedeggsandcustard Tue 19-Mar-19 20:16:34

an ornimentsl cherry? This one is very slow growing and around 1.5m to 2.5m tall ( after 50 years) ok kn chalk soil. nice autumn colour and spring blossom?

Prunus incisa 'Kojo-no-mai'

Cedilla Tue 19-Mar-19 20:25:27

I knew I could rely on you lovely lot smile

Thanks so much for the suggestions. I would love that acer, spaniorita , but sadly the site is very prone to cold wind and I don't think acers and wind mix

I'm looking up that crab apple....

PeachPotato Tue 19-Mar-19 20:29:05

Our ornamental cherry tree is about that size. Don’t know the type though.

NanTheWiser Wed 20-Mar-19 11:07:55

If a shrub would suit, how about Exochorda x macrantha 'The Bride'? It grows to about 2 meters wide and tall, and is covered in fragrant white flowers in spring.

BobTheDuvet Wed 20-Mar-19 11:49:57

Weeping pussy willow?
https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/shrubs/pussy-willow/weeping-pussy-willow-care.htm

Cedilla Wed 20-Mar-19 12:14:57

Thanks all.

I'm wondering whether I could make a multi-stemmed amelanchier lamarckii work - it would have to be kept in check as it's a bit too big really, but would otherwise be a good candidate (thanks awkwardturtle for suggesting an amelanchier).

Trethew Wed 20-Mar-19 13:30:06

I would look at flowering shrubs, and keep the bottom bare to give a “tree” effect

awkwardturtle Wed 20-Mar-19 18:17:31

@Cedilla - pleasure. Mines just about to come into flower - they really are very pretty.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: