Talk

Advanced search

Novice gardener - answers to bulb questions please

(4 Posts)
SWnewstart Sun 17-Mar-19 22:09:57

A lovely Christmas present amaryllis has just finished flowering - is that it or can I do something to keep the bulb and use again? Likewise hyacinths I grew in those odd-shaped water jars - can I plant them in the garden now?

runoutofnamechanges Mon 18-Mar-19 15:00:17

You need to cut back stem of the flower to a few cm above the leaves for both the amaryllis and hyacinths and keep watering and feeding them so they can build up reserves to flower next year. When the leaves start to yellow, stop watering and let them die back of their own accord. You can then take the bulb out and store it somewhere dark, cool and dry while it is dormant, then plant again at the same time as last year if you want to grow them indoors. If you want to put the hyacinths in the garden, plant them in the autumn.

SWnewstart Mon 18-Mar-19 19:49:30

Just what I needed to know, thank you.

SeventhWave Sat 23-Mar-19 23:23:11

I've had success with just planting hyacinths in the garden as soon as they have finished flowering. You need to plant them fairly deep though.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: