Talk

Advanced search

Vegetable help

(7 Posts)
Stealthtoast Sat 02-Mar-19 10:08:59

We've been growing fruit and vegetables in garden in London since we moved in 5 years ago, and i feel like i put a lot of effort in, but haven't got much back in the last few years! We've got a pretty shady veg patch, plus pots against a very sunny wall. Dwarf French beans and herbs in pots have done fine. The fruit does well except we have spotted wing drosophila and codling moth so much of it needs cooking. However in the last few years I've had no success with either courgettes or runner beans or French beans in the veg patch - scraggly plants, no courgettes, about 3 beans. Rhubarb and chard grow by themselves, plus a few random self grown potatoes (when did I harvest these?). Should I keep trying? Or find something that grows better with not much sun? Any ideas?
Also last year tomatoes were a disaster - started them inside but they seemed to stop growing for ages when about 10cm tall and never caught up - about 5 tomatoes in the end! No idea why! Any tips?

I feel like I've got the enthusiasm I have every year and will put in lots of effort but I'll do something wrong again and still won't produce much!

Gorse Sat 02-Mar-19 21:50:59

Does your veg plot get any sun at all?
Is the soil in good shape, plenty of compost etc? Courgettes are gross feeders and like mountains of good quality muck, plus liquid feeds throughout the growing season. They definitely do best in full sun but watered often. If your garden is seriously shaded then you may have to drop the idea of growing much veg, though as you've noticed, potatoes will grow in the shade. You could try peas because they're known as a cool season crop i.e. grow earlier in the year compared to The or F

Gorse Sat 02-Mar-19 21:55:43

Damn, posted while rectifying typo😕
Peas, yes, earlier than french beans & so on, so maybe can cope with less light. I have grown some decent onions in the shade.
Good luck and keep trying!

NotMaryWhitehouse Fri 15-Mar-19 07:01:37

Agree with Gorse re courgette feeding- same is true of tomatoes. Mine were the best ever last year because of the heat- it I watered them twice a day (so they were sat in water for most of the day and fed them (once flowers appeared) twice a week.

I think you can hormone traps for stopping coddling moths - let me see if I can find a link.

NotMaryWhitehouse Fri 15-Mar-19 07:02:26

Et voila:

https://www.suttons.co.uk/Gardening/Garden-Equipment/Garden-Pest-Control/All-Garden-Pest-Control/Codling-Moth-TrapsMH2395.htm?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxYHJ58mD4QIVrbb_tCh1yqgx8EAQYAyABEgKM9DD_BwE

TroysMammy Mon 25-Mar-19 15:42:58

Chard and pak choi don't like full sun.

MikeUniformMike Mon 25-Mar-19 18:27:06

Grow things that will be ok in the shade and grow the stuff you like to eat.
morningchores.com/vegetables-that-grow-in-shade/
Arugula is rocket. If it's anything like last year (here's hoping) you'll be glad of the shade.
I would grow the cougettes in grobags.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: