Talk

Advanced search

Its Japanese Knotweed time again, what to look out for.....

(9 Posts)
SweetPeaproperty Wed 27-Feb-19 13:40:36

Its that time of year again where the dreaded Japanese Knotweed, the plant that strikes fear into the hearts of every home owner, comes a creeping....

but what does it look like?
how can you get rid of it?
what damage can it really do?

I've written a guide and would be interested to know any horror stories you may have to add some real world experiences......

propertyexpertadvi.wixsite.com/website/post/japanese-knotweed-a-guide-for-you

Love to hear from you

livingthegoodlife Wed 27-Feb-19 20:55:54

you could say more in your report about the importance of the closeness of japanese knotweed to property - 7m is the magic number which mortgage companies care about. There also several different levels of insurance cover and these matter, some of them are dressed up to be better than they really are. Mortgage companies are getting fussier on which properties they lend on.

Its good to see some pics, people don't know what it looks like!

ThroughThickAndThin01 Wed 27-Feb-19 20:57:00

Interesting, thanks.

SweetPeaproperty Thu 28-Feb-19 11:50:22

@livingthegoodlife many thanks for your comments i will certainly look into all of that - great input!

propertyexpertadvi.wixsite.com/website

echt Thu 07-Mar-19 08:28:43

You can eat it:

www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/shortcuts/2018/may/30/is-japanese-knotweed-driving-you-wild-dont-curse-it-cook-it

Bluelonerose Thu 07-Mar-19 08:30:12

Oh I have this growing at the side of my house. Following with interest

Newyearnewme2019 Thu 07-Mar-19 12:57:02

took me forever and a day to get a mortgage when this stuff was found along the road where we were buying a house (within 10ft)

Santander were great but we had to put in place and pay up front a 5yr eradication plan with a reputable company who come out every year to spray it and check there are no new sprouts

Were 3 years in and it's all dead but i can't get anyone to come a clear the dead poles/stems away as classed as hazzardous

ppeatfruit Fri 08-Mar-19 09:20:10

Yes Echt and according to the radio and on Gardeners World on the telly, they've tested it and it's not as bad as they say it is. So panic over grin

LittlePickleHead Mon 25-Mar-19 09:34:55

Just about to move from a house with JKW and and utter nightmare during the same dealing with peoples perceptions, rather than the issue itself!

Main thing is - treat it as soon as you see it. Get a 5 year management plan with a 10 year guarantee (they also clear our stems away).

Our buyers had no problem with their mortgage, and the valuation wasn't affected at all.

It's VERY common round here though so perhaps viewed more pragmatically?

The worst thing about it all was googling and reading Mumsnet opinions on it when we first discovered it. I thought we would never sell and it would knock 25% off our sale price.

Complete overreaction!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »