Talk

Advanced search

Soil testing

(3 Posts)
Katsma Thu 05-Jul-07 02:51:04

We live in a 1960s built house on a site that was previously industrial. The garden is quite large and I'm quite a keen gardener.

At the moment, the planting is entirely ornamental, and quite high maintenance (especially since my 9mo DD was born!)

I would love to get rid of a big chunk of garden by planting an orchard and having a netted soft fruit area.

However, I'm concerned that there is a possibility of soil contamination from the sites history. I'm sure the top soil is okay, but tree roots would reach to the sub-soil.

Does anyone know who could carry out testing for contaminants or have any experience of this themselves?

Bienchen Thu 05-Jul-07 09:10:24

You could contact a local structural surveyor's office. They will point out some engineers and labs that do soil testing. I went down that route many years ago and was immensely relieved by the results.

Katsma Thu 05-Jul-07 12:07:49

Thanks Bienchen, have managed to find a company that will do the testing (for £130 + VAT, gulp!)

They say that the testing is confidential. It had dawned on me as I was on the phone to them that I could end up paying 130 quid to destroy the value of my property!

Glad your results gave you peace of mind.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now