Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone got a living wall?

(5 Posts)
tiredandgrumpy Mon 28-Jan-19 13:11:15

I love the look of living walls but wonder how high maintenance they are. We're having building work done and will have a courtyard garden enclosed by the house. I need to make the space beautiful and stylish but am concerned about what the downsides of these might be. Do they make the area more prone to moss? Does the floor underneath get more messy because of water run off? Do they need replanting frequently? What might I have missed?

Tetrapanex Mon 28-Jan-19 16:08:42

I don't have one but I'd like one on a shady wall I have in a small courtyard area. So I'm bumping this in the hope that someone can answer your questions.

Sizeofalentil Sun 17-Mar-19 17:43:49

I tried with wall pockets and it was a massive waste of time and money (as a novice gardener). I couldn't keep the plants watered enough no matter what I did.

Beebumble2 Sun 17-Mar-19 19:35:21

I’ve got a damp retaining wall about 100cms high. I nailed battons on to it and attached cheap plastic half moon planters. I won’t say it’s a huge success. Some thyme and sedum has survived and the odd valerian plant.
In fact I was only thinking today that I need to sort this year.

tiredandgrumpy Wed 20-Mar-19 19:12:41

Ooh thanks both. These were my exact concerns- that they look great for flash office spaces where someone is paid to regularly maintain them, but for home use they are too much hassle! Plans will change.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: