loader

Talk

Advanced search

Come and join me in a celebratory gloat at DS's PRIZE WINNING LETTUCE

(26 Posts)
FrannyandZooey Sat 30-Jun-07 18:41:00

oh go on

Slubberdegullion Sat 30-Jun-07 18:43:19

Oh well done . So it turned out OK, you were worried about some holes in the leaves I recall. Did he get first?

Oh I'm so very , a RL MN village show winner.

lionheart Sat 30-Jun-07 18:44:07

No picture?

FrannyandZooey Sat 30-Jun-07 18:44:28

Yes he got first prize, and won £10

there was erm

I don't know how to put this

there was not a VAST amount of competition in the lettuce category

FrannyandZooey Sat 30-Jun-07 18:45:42

No picture yet, photo currently on a friend's camera who we fortuitously bumped into (ie me dragging him screaming into the marquis saying "quick quick ds has won a prize and the bigwig bloke is shaking his hand")

lionheart Sat 30-Jun-07 18:47:22

Are you saying there was but one lettuce in the competition?

FrannyandZooey Sat 30-Jun-07 18:47:40

erm

well

yes

lionheart Sat 30-Jun-07 18:48:03

Well done to your DS. I bet he was chuffed.

Slubberdegullion Sat 30-Jun-07 18:48:23

Well if there were only a few entries that makes you (and DS) tactical Village Show entrants. Nothing to be ashamed of

lionheart Sat 30-Jun-07 18:48:26

A unique creation.

FrannyandZooey Sat 30-Jun-07 18:49:36

and there was no cress at all, and no miniature gardens on plates! I was trying all last week to find ruddy cress seeds in town and gave up. I would have tried a bit harder if I had known there was a tenner at stake. I was daunted by the miniature gardens but you can rest assured we will be entering EVERY category next year and hoping to waltz away with 50 or 60 quid

FrannyandZooey Sat 30-Jun-07 18:53:42

But get this I was so chuffed and now so gutted

the bloke was so nice and said "Ah I have been waiting to meet young DS, we are very pleased he entered" etc

invited us to go to the next show in September where they have tons of categories inc:

a novelty cake
3 slices of bread pudding
town's heaviest onion

and

wait for it

"funny and grotesque shapes - misshapen fruit and veg"

I was beside myself with excitement until I realised we are away that weekend. I wanted to cancel but dp says we have bought tickets and he is not staying at home so I can enter misshapen carrots, even if we do need the money

lionheart Sat 30-Jun-07 18:56:22

You need to find someone who will submit your entries for you. Split the winnings if need be (but keep the glory).

Nice thing for the man to say.

Mercy Sat 30-Jun-07 18:58:55

lol!

£10 for a prize winning lettuce Well done ds!

FrannyandZooey Sat 30-Jun-07 18:59:14

I know he was totally sweet

I am WELL in with the horticulturalists now, what a coup

I do know someone who would enter our stuff for us but it will not be the same laugh as going there

the glory, the public adulation, you know

Slubberdegullion Sat 30-Jun-07 19:03:05

Oh I so want that public adulation. I didn't even get into the final line up for the grown-ups fancy dress comp at our fete today.
And I looked hot. Even as a pirate wench in walking boots and a cagoule.

FrannyandZooey Sat 30-Jun-07 19:03:49

Slubber I am getting the horn just thinking about the cagoule

what were they, blind?

Slubberdegullion Sat 30-Jun-07 19:07:34

Idiots. I had a tatoo (stick on)on the top of my boob and giant earings that were painful to wear, and the most fantastic wench wig you have ever seen. They passed me over.

Professorfilthymindedvixen Sat 30-Jun-07 19:10:43

lolololol at the er, lack of competition!

Bet you're glad you weren't up at dawn polishing the leaves with Mr Sheen....

but a resounding Well Done to the angelic little fella!

(ds won a prize today for his painting of an ice cream. But twas a crappy packet of smartprice felt pens...)

Professorfilthymindedvixen Sat 30-Jun-07 19:13:54

Slubber! <<slobber>> I love pirates. Even female ones. My alter ego is a Pirate Queen called Molly Roger.

Here, have a special prize yo ho ho

pointydog Sat 30-Jun-07 19:17:46

Answer honestly. Was this ds's lettuce or your lettuce?

pointydog Sat 30-Jun-07 19:18:38

£10

our local garden show gives 50p as prize money but only if you can be there to collect it

FrannyandZooey Sat 30-Jun-07 19:36:38

Pointydog

the honest truth

ds planted the seeds (which is why we have approx 100 lettuces growing - he upended the packet onto the earth)

I have transplanted two into a pot and ds and I have both watered them

whose lettuces would you say they were? And how much autonomy would you expect as reasonable in lettuce growing, from a 4 year old?

Slubberdegullion Sat 30-Jun-07 19:40:36

Thank you Prof FMV. The boots had I been wearing them may have tipped the judges decision in my favour.

F&Z...personally I believe the planter is the owner of the plant ergo they were your ds's 100%

pointydog Sat 30-Jun-07 21:02:01

you make lettuce growing sound so simple, fran

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now