Something invisible has eaten my cucumber plant - I'm very cross! any advise please

(34 Posts)
TimeForMe Wed 27-Jun-07 14:11:34

I have a little plastic greenhouse and in it i had my cucumber plant (which was growing very nicely ) and my tomato plants.

I noticed that the leaves on my cucumber plant were disappearing before my eyes but for love nor money could i see anything on it. Then the remaining leaves went all limp and dead like so i removed them yesterday thinking that would be the end to the invisible muncher. Today i find that the tiny little cucumber shaped thingys have gone too so ive now taken the plant out of my greenhouse for fear that whatever it is is going to start on my tomatoes!

All i noticed was the faintist bit of 'shiny' looking stuff, not sticky or slimy, just shiney.

So my question is, should i now spray my tomatoes with something and if so, then please could you tell me what to use.

I am now greiving the loss of my lovely cucumber and i thank you in advance for you advise

Kewcumber Wed 27-Jun-07 14:12:49

murderers...

TimeForMe Wed 27-Jun-07 14:15:07

I know, i loved that little cucumber

TimeForMe Wed 27-Jun-07 16:28:28

Help!

NormaStanleyFletcher Wed 27-Jun-07 16:30:19

Sounds like slugs if there was shiney stuff? They are sneaky little beggers who come out at night and there is no sign in the morning.

Try sharp gravel or broken egg shells or something that someone else will wander along and suggest any minute...

iota Wed 27-Jun-07 16:30:39

sounds like slugs to me - they run away and hide when it's dry and come out when it's wet.

TimeForMe Wed 27-Jun-07 16:36:38

slugs!

Do they climb? My little cucmber was on a shelf about a foot off the ground!

Will they be after the tomato plants too then?

How dare they

foxinsocks Wed 27-Jun-07 16:38:12

slugs

definitely

they can climb, they can hide, they look like they move slowly but while you turn their back, they slime like the wind the little sods

TimeForMe Wed 27-Jun-07 16:40:11

Right! This is war! They are going to be in for a shock when they come out tonight!!

I will be ready for them!

foxinsocks Wed 27-Jun-07 16:44:43

I feel for you. Ours come out quite late at night. If you go to bed late, you might catch them as they are starting to creep out of their hidey holes.

curiouscat Wed 27-Jun-07 16:44:57

Hi Time, good luck, definitely slugs. We lost most of our cucumbers to them.

If the plant's small enough you could put a plastic bottle over the top of it overnight perhaps. They can't climb over the cut edge of it.

I kill them with scissors and also use slug pellets to protect young plants

foxinsocks Wed 27-Jun-07 16:46:48

don't let Franny see this. She is slug phobic.

You could put down salt or coffee at the door to the greenhouse but they are probably hiding it in somewhere. Perhaps you could circle the plants with coffee granules.

foxinsocks Wed 27-Jun-07 16:47:10

in it innit not it in

TimeForMe Wed 27-Jun-07 16:48:02

They probably stay up later than me!

My cucumber plant is now just a stalk, theyve eaten everything off it!

Do you think it might grow new bits with a bit of TLC and a bottle over it???

And what about my toamtoes, will they be safe

iota Wed 27-Jun-07 16:48:49

TFM - the tomatoes will be the next target - you need to take action

TimeForMe Wed 27-Jun-07 16:49:00

Hiding in it! Oh YUK! This is terrible!

foxinsocks Wed 27-Jun-07 16:49:47

now we are overrun with slugs but they've never liked my tomatoes.

However, due to your present disappointment, I would err on the side of caution and bring them inside.

Our slugs come inside (grrr) but I reckon you're probably OK. I don't think your slugs are as clever or devious as ours (yet).

Either that, or put something around your tomatoes.

TimeForMe Wed 27-Jun-07 16:50:09

Right! Tonight it will have to be salt. Thats all i've got to hand. They are NOT having my tomatoes as well!

iota Wed 27-Jun-07 16:54:13

I bought some organic granules (look just like cat litter) for my outdoor cucumbers and tomatoes, but found so many big fat slugs lurking in my grow bags that I'm afraid I resorted to pellets

funkimummy Wed 27-Jun-07 16:58:06

[Panic Emoticon] My dear little basil plant has gone the same way! And what about my little baby tomato plant. Eeek.

Pellets you say?

TimeForMe Wed 27-Jun-07 17:03:28

Pellets it is! I'm off to the garden centre first thing in the morning!

We have a lot of snails around here at the moment, as well as slugs but, i never thought they could climb

I did notice a week or so ago that a square hole about an inch square has been bitten through the plastci at the bottom of my greenhouse. They wouldn't have done that too would they? Surely not! Have they more intelligent than I have ever given them credit for!

TimeForMe Wed 27-Jun-07 17:04:47

i meant intelligence as you can tell, i am still upset

funkimummy Wed 27-Jun-07 17:04:50

Oh no - Super Slugs! They'll be eating through house bricks next! Definitely pellets!

TimeForMe Wed 27-Jun-07 17:11:32

I might stop up late tonight, I could even camp out. They would get a right shock when i shone my torch into their beady little eyes before I stamped on em in me size 7 wellies!!!

Actually, forget that. Pellets sound much less messy

ChristyC Thu 28-Jun-07 00:16:30

If you go out at about dusk time or a touch later with a torch, you will see them everywhere. Pick them or scoop them up and put them in a bowl of salted water. Slugs generally don't go for tomato plants as they appear to not like the taste as much. They are little shits, aren't they. They have munched through 36 of my runner bean plants in the space of two days and they are lovely this really CRAPPY weather at the mo. I have a neighbour who mows his lawn at night just to cut them up and get rid of them, but I don't think it does the frogs much good!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now