Talk

Advanced search

Anyone growing grapes/vine ?

(5 Posts)
TheodoresMummy Tue 19-Jun-07 20:03:01

I was given a vine for as a Birthday present (in April ) and I really need to get it planted !!!

My Mum reckons I should put it in the greenhouse, but surely it would take over and shield other plants from sunlight ?

Can you grow them out of doors in the UK ?

How would you keep them from bad frosts ? I have an old pig sty/shed at the bottom of our long garden, which gets sun pretty much all day (when the sun's out). Would it too open to the frosts though ?

littlerach Tue 19-Jun-07 20:13:35

My parents grew grapes ona vine when I was growing up. they wee nice and not in a greenhous.

castille Tue 19-Jun-07 20:41:01

We're in Northern France where the climate is very similar (maybe a bit warmer, but not much) and our vine does really well outside against an East facing wall. The wall heats up with the morning sun and stays warm all day, which probably helps.

The grapes are delicious!

Pixel Fri 22-Jun-07 23:12:36

Dh bought a little vine last year in a mad moment when he was waiting for me to pick him up and happened to be standing outside a florist. I didn't get round to planting it and it got left in the pot all winter. It looked dead by the spring but I planted it up against the fence on the off-chance and it's fine! Growning beautifully now (very sunny fence) and even has some teeny tiny bunches of grapes on it. I'm assuming they must always die back in the winter? Or was I just lucky and rescued it in time?

Pixel Fri 22-Jun-07 23:14:27

Growing, not growning obv. Would be creepy otherwise!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now