Talk

Advanced search

What to plant with pink hydrangeas

(9 Posts)
hydhydhydrangea Fri 10-Aug-18 12:58:54

Hello, looking for ideas here! I've got a narrow space, just a meter deep, at the front of my Victorian terrace. It gets morning sun and so I thought in the autumn I could improve the soil and plant there 3 languishing pink hydrangeas that have been in pots for years. What would you recommend for underplanting with hydrangeas to give a bit of interest for when they're not in flower? Tia

Dodie66 Fri 10-Aug-18 13:11:43

You could try pansies they don’t mind a bit of shade. Also try Heucherlla or Heuchera which have coloured leaves. My hydrangeas have leaves quite close to the ground so I don’t underplant.

JT05 Fri 10-Aug-18 17:09:16

White Cranesbill perennial geranium would look lovely.

Trumpodious Fri 10-Aug-18 21:48:45

Next to my patio paving a large lace cap hydrangea. I have spring bulbs under it, small tete a tete in the front and taller daffs that the bald hydrangea branches support. Blue anenome blanda spill over the front edge and there are some Ipheion White Star fighting for space too.

Trumpodious Fri 10-Aug-18 21:50:07

I meant to add that once the hydrangea gets leaves it fills the space by itself.

Dodie66 Fri 10-Aug-18 22:03:17

That’s a good idea to plant bulbs for when the hydrangea stems are bald. I’ll try that 🙂

ppeatfruit Sat 11-Aug-18 13:37:57

I use ivy as ground cover under my hydrangeas [to encourage wild life and it helps stop the ground from drying out, hyds. like the damp ) you can get variegated types, I plant bulbs among the leaves. We've got a hedgehog now so it must work!

hydhydhydrangea Thu 16-Aug-18 16:36:58

Thanks for the great ideas!

Mrsramsayscat Fri 17-Aug-18 07:17:14

Hostas and bulbs

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: