Talk

Advanced search

New Hydrangea

(7 Posts)
TingleTots Wed 08-Aug-18 16:48:36

Absolute novice here, hoping I can revive my Hydrangea! I planted it from the pot to the garden at the end of summer/beginning of summer.
Obviously the scorching weather this year has contributed to the sad passing of my plant 😔

I have been watering it/pitting I've cubes around it after the sun has gone down (read the ice cube tip and thought it was worth a try).
Is it possible that it will revive itself as time goes on?

mynameisnotmichaelcaine Wed 08-Aug-18 16:53:45

Mine basically died one year, and revived perfectly the following year.

TingleTots Wed 08-Aug-18 18:01:16

That sounds positive! I just worry because it was the first planting, so they haven't had chance to actually settle in!

JT05 Wed 08-Aug-18 18:06:46

It is exceptionally hot for all plants. Even thought they are watered the leaves and flowers are getting scorched and there’s little you can do about it. Continue watering in order to keep the roots hydrated, when they have settled in it’s likely that new shoots will appear.
I’ve waited 6 years for my two young Magnolia Sieboldii to flower, one had three flowers, the other one. They bloomed earlier in the week and are now scorched!

TingleTots Wed 08-Aug-18 20:07:55

Ah thank you, I won't give up on it!

jomantha Sat 11-Aug-18 15:33:40

Had the same problem last year when I bought my hydrangeas from Orchid Republic. The solution is to keep the soil uniformly moist. Put a finger into the soil in the morning to a depth of 4 inches. If it feels dry, water the soil only and not the leaves.

TingleTots Sat 11-Aug-18 17:01:37

Thanks for the tip!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: