Talk

Advanced search

Rose recommendation please!

(11 Posts)
MrsPepperpot79 Mon 25-Jun-18 14:04:55

I have a wall (approx 5 foot tall by 10-15 foot length) and I really want to put a rose up along it, but not sure which one! It has to like west facing, poor soil (is topsoil on top of old stone yard so VERY free draining), repeat flower (preferably) and want to go berserk over the available wall. I already have Madame Alfred Carriere nearby - and while doing ok is not exactly romping away - I think i need a real thug!

Any ideas?

WellTidy Mon 25-Jun-18 15:25:48

My Maid of Kent is doing very well indeed on a west facing wall in poor soil (though I dioid improve the soil a fair bit before planting). It has only been in about four weeks but it has grown loads and is full of bud. It is a pink climber, repeat flowering.

Madame Alfred Carriere is known as a very fast grower though, mine went in at the same time as Maid of Kent and is already bigger. Not yet in bud/flower though, which is why I mentioned the Maid of Kent.

WellTidy Mon 25-Jun-18 15:27:55

Someone on here last week was recommending Golden Shower, she posted a photo of it in a pot, growing on a north facing wall. I remember making a mental note of it as something excellent for a difficult place.

JT05 Mon 25-Jun-18 20:02:57

It was me 😁. Golden Showers is a great rose for almost any situation and is a repeat flowered. In my last house I grew one at the front door NE facing and my neighbours across the road grew one at their front door SW facing. That way we both enjoyed the Rose.

JT05 Mon 25-Jun-18 20:05:22

Golden Showers isn’t a thug of a climber, but in my new garden I have planted City of York facing south on not very good soil and for its first year its doing well.

GingerKitCat Mon 25-Jun-18 21:12:21

Anyone have experience of New Dawn? Mine seems very slow (it's supposed to be fast growing!) and has very small leaves (maybe this is correct). I planted Iceberg at the same time along the same fence and it's growing much faster impatient grin

JT05 Tue 26-Jun-18 21:09:12

I didn’t have much success with New Dawn, in my old garden. It was East facing but didn’t amount to much.

GingerKitCat Tue 26-Jun-18 22:19:24

Oh no that's not good JT05! Maybe I'll get hold of Golden Showers instead.

AndromedaPerseus Tue 26-Jun-18 22:23:54

My roses do well with a feed of bone, blood and fish very fortnight during the growing season also watering daily helps. My favourite climber rose is Zephrine doubrin

annandale Tue 26-Jun-18 22:24:25

Rambling Rector? I don't know much about roses, dh planted ours, but it is a huge canopy of flowers now and it's not very old.

GingerKitCat Wed 27-Jun-18 11:33:16

Mine are on a north-east (mainly north) facing fence so I have to be a bit selective. Once they get to 5ft there's lovely sunshine from the south through the 1ft trellis grin No competing overhead vegetation either.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: