Talk

Advanced search

Ornamental grass

(10 Posts)
HebetheGrebe Sat 26-May-18 08:06:40

Would anyone be able to hazard a guess at what this ornamental grass is? Also, what the brown spots are and how to treat them?

It's been here since we moved in 3 years ago and amazingly hasn't died yet (despite the fact that I have completely neglected it due to always forgetting it's there) but it's starting to look quite unhappy..

JT05 Sat 26-May-18 09:24:06

Looks like a type of Carex. Maybe it’s pot bound and needs splitting.
If you make two, they could look nice in big pots either side of your French window.

JT05 Sat 26-May-18 09:27:34

I think the brown patches are rust, a disease. If you split it, remove all the dead and effected leaves. It should then be ok. They don’t like too much water.

HebetheGrebe Sat 26-May-18 09:31:18

Thanks!

UniversalTruth Sat 26-May-18 09:52:53

I think it might be a new Zealand flax or cordyline?

HebetheGrebe Sat 26-May-18 10:17:13

Thanks Universal. Someone on another site said new Zealand flax and having done a bit of googling I think that might be right. I'm intending to split and re-pot it.. do you think I should cut off the leaves with lots of brown on them? (Nb, I have googled but it still isn't clear to me what the brown is, unless I find loads of mealy bugs when I drove into the pot..)

HebetheGrebe Sat 26-May-18 10:36:54

Arg! Just found mealy bugs sad

UniversalTruth Sat 26-May-18 11:03:07

Is the pot somewhat sunny and sheltered? RHS suggest mealy worms like greenhouses as don't like cold. www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=201

So could try carefully removing the ones you can see, buying a pot of ladybirds and moving the pot into the wind/shade. Keep it away from other plants though.

Just my thoughts, very much an amateur gardener!

HebetheGrebe Sat 26-May-18 11:09:38

Thanks Universal. The plant has been outside all winter up against a north facing wall.. however I think phoriums have their own breed of mealybugs which don't mind the cold so could be them.. I'm thinking of spraying with washing up liquid as recommended on a new Zealand site but scared in case I spread them confused

efeslight Sat 26-May-18 11:13:05

Yes, i think i would cut away all the brown affected leaves, because its looking ill anyway. Repot, give it some space and air between the leaves to encourage new growth. Would love to see it when its repotted. Not an expert btw

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: