Talk

Advanced search

Recommendations for my first house plant that smells nice..

(9 Posts)
Eesha Wed 25-Apr-18 23:31:58

Hello,

Can Any green fingered experts here recommend a nice houseplant which will make my home smell nice. I love bright colours but am pretty bad with maintaining plants outside let alone inside so nothing with too much maintenance. I just want my home to feel more beautiful and happy and I think plants are the answer....

AjasLipstick Thu 26-Apr-18 00:42:02

Well...house plants in general don't really do that....make your house smell nice.

Often it's the rain falling on flowers which releases scent into the air outside.

But a herb garden in your kitchen might be more of a scented option. You can grow them all together in a trough affair.

Houseplants do add ambience though and some gorgeous hanging varieties would be a good choice.

MadisonAvenue Thu 26-Apr-18 00:46:14

Jasmine have a lovely scent.

TolchockLovelyInTheLitso Thu 26-Apr-18 01:13:33

Scented geranium/attar of roses smell gorgeous. No flowers, but release scent when touched. Don't need much looking after, either.

DoneDisappeared Thu 26-Apr-18 01:18:18

I've had good luck with minature oranges and passion flowers.

There's some good suggestions on this page: www.bhg.com/gardening/houseplants/projects/top-fragrant-houseplants/?slideId=e2959ff2-ecda-4e8c-b947-6b0e2ffc8d10

JT05 Thu 26-Apr-18 06:36:48

I have a Hoya, it’s a slow climbing plant often known as the Wax flower.
They are very easy to look after and have fleshy leaves so don’t mind not being watered from time to time!
The flowers are small white clusters that give off a heady scent in the evenings.

Harebellmeadow Fri 27-Apr-18 19:42:13

Gardenias are insanely fragrant, as if you have stepped into a perfumes garden, and are suitable for indoors, but I’ve always killed them by overwatering/drying them out completely. Will take better care next time.

Pinkywoo Fri 27-Apr-18 19:46:27

Lemon geraniums smell amazing and are nearly impossible to kill!

concretesieve Fri 27-Apr-18 19:46:33

Another vote for scented geraniums. Love 'em grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: