Talk

Advanced search

Quick growing climber for fence in shade

(19 Posts)
LiteraryDevil Fri 13-Apr-18 21:04:18

Hi, I'm in the uk and live in s rented house that has a completely decked garden with a fence in two sides. It's all very wooden looking and I'm wanting things to grow in containers up the fence. The fence faces north and is under a large tree so gets no sun. My wisteria died and my everlasting sweet pea, and Virginia creeper aren't growing very well on the same fence. What could I successfully grow in a container in these conditions? I have a clematis Montana, nameless clematis and a climbing hydrangea on the garage west facing wall and these are doing well in their pots.

AstrantiaMajor Fri 13-Apr-18 21:10:24

Russian vine does well anywhere

theconstantinoplegardener Fri 13-Apr-18 21:19:45

Russian Vine does do well anywhere, but you may come to regret planting it. Otherwise known as Mile-a-minute Vine, it has a tendency to spread out of control and is likely to invade the rest of your garden and that of your neighbours too. It's very hard to kill it off without industrial quantities of herbicide.

LiteraryDevil Fri 13-Apr-18 21:23:07

I'd not heard of that so just googled and am worried it might be a bit too much and invade the garage at the end of the fence. I could try it is the corner and get it to climb in both directions but sounds like it would need regular pruning to keep in check.

LiteraryDevil Fri 13-Apr-18 21:24:02

At least in a pot it couldn't take over and is more easily got rid of should it not be suitable.

Mrsramsayscat Fri 13-Apr-18 23:51:59

Jasmine

LiteraryDevil Wed 18-Apr-18 18:55:38

I've bought a Russian vine as it will be confined to a container so hopefully won't take over the neighbourhood!
I've also bought another everlasting sweet pea to put on my west facing wall as that gets lots of sun and it can happily grow up the trellis attached to the garage wall.

cloudtree Wed 18-Apr-18 19:39:17

My russian vine did very little. I deliberately planted it to go mad and to help fill in a gap in a hedge. Its spindly and rubbish.

Bellie99 Wed 18-Apr-18 20:18:21

Rambling rector rose. We planted ours last year and it has more than quadrupled already!

https://www.davidaustinroses.co.uk/rambling-rector

peridito Wed 18-Apr-18 20:46:56

Oh Bellie

I want ,want ,want that rose !

RelentlessSylvia Wed 18-Apr-18 20:52:31

climbing hydrangea.

Bellie99 Wed 18-Apr-18 20:56:45

It is truly stunning when its out.

glitterbiscuits Fri 20-Apr-18 10:13:20

Do you think a rambling rose could live in a large pot? I’ve got a fence I need to cover but the ground can get waterlogged.

LiteraryDevil Fri 20-Apr-18 10:25:06

Glitter I'd give the nursery a ring and ask them. Maybe the biggest pot you can buy? I've been told my Russian vibe might be pot bound in 2 years but that's ok.

glitterbiscuits Fri 20-Apr-18 11:19:03

Good idea. I’ve just spent a fortune at David Austin roses so I will see what they say.

iffyjiffybag Fri 20-Apr-18 11:33:17

Russian Vine does do well anywhere, but you may come to regret planting it. Otherwise known as Mile-a-minute Vine, it has a tendency to spread out of control and is likely to invade the rest of your garden and that of your neighbours too. It's very hard to kill it off without industrial quantities of herbicide.

^^This, in spades. You and your neighbours will rue the day it got into your garden. It will not stay in your container very long, it will self seed prolifically.

OP, go on the RHS plant finder website, you can input your requirements and growing conditions on the questionnaire there, and it should generate a useful, and dare I say sensible, solution for you.

cloudtree a neighbour probably spiked your Russian Vine - if they had any sense grin

LiteraryDevil Fri 20-Apr-18 11:39:20

Iffy there is no soil in my garden at all. It is purely decked so it can't spread anywhere. If it self seeds into the neighbours garden it will serve him right for being such a dick lately and parking over my drivegrin

iffyjiffybag Fri 20-Apr-18 11:53:40

Lovely.

peridito Fri 20-Apr-18 14:33:54

@glitterbiscuits I'd really like to know what they suggest about growing a rambler in a pot .Don't roses have deep roots though ?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: