Talk

Advanced search

Plant ID

(10 Posts)
Attie17 Tue 13-Mar-18 17:01:46

Hello all, would any of you be able to tell me what this is and whether I should be worried? There wasn’t much of it last year, but it seems to be growing rapidly and has taken over a bed where some spring bulbs were last year. Thanks very much!

Cantspell2 Tue 13-Mar-18 18:45:33

It is lesser cerlandine. Pretty yellow flowers but very invasive. It is a member of the buttercup family and hard to control due to the root tubers that spread via bulbils but the good news is that it should die back by the end of april as it has a very short growing season.

Trethew Tue 13-Mar-18 19:35:27

No, it’s Cyclamen hederifolium

FuzzyCustard Tue 13-Mar-18 19:57:47

Another vote for cyclamen. Not a worry as far as I am concerned...it has pretty pink or white flowers and is very much encouraged to grow in my garden.

retirednow Wed 14-Mar-18 15:13:16

Some sort of ivy

HerbWoman Wed 14-Mar-18 15:25:29

I'd agree with Cyclamen. Hederifolium just means that the leaves look ivy-like. But the leaf stalk looks a bit pinky near the leaves (although that could be my rubbish monitor) which Cyclamen leaves tend to be.

Harebellmeadow Wed 14-Mar-18 21:39:04

Also looks like Winter Cyclamen to me, the flowers having faded and the leaves now remaining to collect energy for next year. If you dig it up you might find big (dinner plate sized) or small flat mushroomy “things” which are the corms. don’t know official terminology so be careful not to break these up. Only dig very carefully (excavate) from the very edge of where these leaves were. Or better, leave them be till next year and leave some food for early winter bees or confused early bumbles.

Attie17 Sat 24-Mar-18 11:13:44

Thank you all! Your gardening knowledge is much appreciated.

CottonSock Sat 24-Mar-18 11:16:15

I love it. Might get some

Dodie66 Sat 24-Mar-18 11:21:40

Cyclamen

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: