Talk

Advanced search

how to hide a garage!

(23 Posts)
ACurlyWurly Wed 14-Feb-18 13:56:45

I have a concrete prefab garage, with a pebble dash finish. One length of it is the wall of my garden. I have a narrow planting area in front of it about a foot wide everything I have planted there has died. I tried clematis and jasmine thinking i can grow up the garage but it just withers. I really dont want bamboo.
the wall is south facing and gets toasty.
How can I hide / disguise the wall or make it more attractive? is it possible to clad it in timber?
Damn garage leaks and I will need a new (non asbestos) roof on it this year, I believe the walls are not water tight either.

I thought it could be a nice feature eventually but I am at a loss.

ACurlyWurly Wed 14-Feb-18 14:00:38

also to add, I cannot make the planting area wider as it is contained by the path (which i am keeping)

SilverHairedCat Wed 14-Feb-18 14:05:06

I painted all my ugly timber orange fencing white. It reflects loads of light back into the house and the garden. Maybe try a light coloured masonry paint to do the same thing?

As for South facing plants, I'm clueless beyond palm trees!

retirednow Wed 14-Feb-18 14:10:15

Willow trellis, you can buy fence panels with fake plants, shrubs in pots.

MikeUniformMike Wed 14-Feb-18 14:11:44

A vine.

FuzzyCustard Wed 14-Feb-18 15:02:27

Hops - they grow really fast but die down every year for garage maintenance.

Knittedfairies Wed 14-Feb-18 15:03:12

What about a Passion flower?

MikeUniformMike Wed 14-Feb-18 15:34:10

Ooh yes. That's a good one. Quick to scramble and beautiful flowers. Honeysuckle or forsythia might be good too. I'm not sure why the jasmine and clematis didn't work as they are both usually pretty much foolproof.

MikeUniformMike Wed 14-Feb-18 15:35:27

Thought of another one. Berberis or cotoneaster trained across the wall. Birds will love it.

ACurlyWurly Wed 14-Feb-18 15:39:22

Its so frustrating that nothing seems to take. I have planted other things in other parts of the garden with no problems. maybe the soil is contaminated or in REALLY poor condition

Ariela Wed 14-Feb-18 15:56:25

I would think you might need to mix in some good compost.

When I had this, I strung wires along the side of the garage (I think I stuck nails in between the slabs, and wound the wire round it)
I grew virgnia creeper and clematis and let them grow along the wires. I also grew tomatoes in front.
You could always put them in pots or growbags

Cantspell2 Wed 14-Feb-18 15:56:43

Could you turn the narrow bed into a raised bed by building a small brick wall around it or using sleepers then adding some top soil.

JT05 Thu 15-Feb-18 08:54:01

This is what I did to mine. Honeysuckle, everlasting sweet peas, Passion flower and crainsbill geranium in front. Spring flowers, Lilly of the valley, hellebores and vinca.
Ivy and a tree already there. Will try to post picture next.

JT05 Thu 15-Feb-18 08:56:50

Picture.

Chickenagain Thu 15-Feb-18 08:59:10

Wow - lovely!

JT05 Thu 15-Feb-18 12:26:40

Thank you, that was last summer, first year in the house. I hope this years better.😊

ACurlyWurly Thu 15-Feb-18 15:31:30

its a beautiful version of my shitty garage!! looks lovely! Thats what i hoped to achieve but no....

QuinionsRainbow Thu 15-Feb-18 18:20:43

Sounds like a good place for a grape-vine --> WINE!

TeamEponine Thu 15-Feb-18 18:28:08

We have a similar set up. Got tall, wide but not too deep planters, then attached trellis above it. Clematis has grown great in mine. Maybe in a planter with good compost they will do better?!

flowers

TeamEponine Thu 15-Feb-18 18:33:24

Like these... www.primrose.co.uk/76cm-terracotta-fibrecotta-tall-trough-planter-p-56875.html?src=alt_prod

Teenagedream Thu 15-Feb-18 18:38:37

Similar problem. Looks ok in the summer but not enough interest this time of year. I've hopefully posted a picture. Clematis, honeysuckle, roses in summer.
Need help in winter as this is what we look out upon all winter.

ACurlyWurly Fri 16-Feb-18 11:40:39

@teenagedream - if only my garage roof was so pretty I have an awful flat concrete roof, your garage looks lovely with that planting and profile!

Grape vine would be awesome I need to investigate that.

BluebellTheDonkey Fri 16-Feb-18 11:45:31

We have used a large planter with a piece of trellis attached, planted with an evergreen honeysuckle and some bedding plants to block up an old front door. Will try and attach pic. Maybe you could use a few to get the desired coverage?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now