Talk

Advanced search

Climbing roses?

(7 Posts)
BrassicaBabe Mon 12-Feb-18 18:12:16

Hi

I'm not much of a gardener. Although I've been enjoying my veg box. And of all the plants I'd avoid most I'd avoid roses. For the reason that the tags that stick in my head are awkward things like pruning and aphids, mildew and other stuff.

But on the other hand I've got a mile (ok, a bit less) of post and rail fencing. It's very bland. And I've seen a neighbor with lovely climbing roses.

What do you think? How hard are they? Can climbing roses be "easy care"?!

bilbodog Mon 12-Feb-18 19:04:29

There are a few thornless ones. Ive got a rosa banksiae lutea which is a rambler and should cover a fence quite quickly - it has clusters of small lemon flowers earlier than most roses but does only flower once each year. It is also quite evergreen so doesnt loose all its leaves in autumn. I love roses and think they are well worth being speared by their thorns! Check out the david austen site as there are some fabulous roses there.

PurpleWithRed Mon 12-Feb-18 19:07:57

Roses are tough as old boots. You can hack them back with a chainsaw and they will still come back and flower their socks off. You can primp them and prune them and fret over every fallen leaf if you want to, or you can just let them do their thing and chop them back in the winter where the've outgrown their welcome.

How tall are your railings though? climbing roses can really climb.

bilbodog Mon 12-Feb-18 20:19:58

Purple is right but check out the differences between climbers and ramblers. The ramblers are the ones which grow madly. Climbers dont grow so widly and are easier to keep in check.

bilbodog Mon 12-Feb-18 20:20:52

Watch gardeners world with monty don - hes great.

Cantspell2 Tue 13-Feb-18 00:12:14

There is a rambling rose called Paul Noel. Salmon pink and flowers well right through summer. And it has the scent of apples. It will also do well in shade.
It would soon cover your fence.

retirednow Tue 13-Feb-18 00:13:52

Look up david austen roses, all types including ones with no thorns

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: