Talk

Advanced search

3m by 2m dry border by a small pond

(8 Posts)
OhYouBadBadKitten Mon 12-Feb-18 15:39:59

Very specific thread title grin

I'm lacking inspiration. I've got a nice patch that's completely empty near to and around a pond. Only the pond is in a bit of a dry spot.

I'd like to plant it up this spring - cottage garden style, with some height, loads of bees and butterflies and lots and lots of scent. I also don't want to have to weed it very much.

I've been looking at crocus, but can't quite get my head around what to buy.

OhYouBadBadKitten Mon 12-Feb-18 15:41:21

and it's acid soil. Should have said that!

JT05 Fri 16-Feb-18 08:44:28

Small cranesbill geraniums, thyme plants in different varieties, sedums and rock plants should do.

Doctordonowt Fri 16-Feb-18 14:23:05

Look at Piet Oudolf. Lots of ideas for dry gardens. You can then Intersperse with wildflower seed, or plants such as Astrantia, Circium, Bergamont, valerian, Aqueliga, California Poppies, cornflowers and nasturtium. These are easy no nonsense plants, which mean no weeding and loved by bees. Also I suggest looking at Jekka Herbs, for really excellent plants.

GingerKitCat Fri 16-Feb-18 16:00:39

Would the bog garden trick of burying sheets of plastic (punched through with a garden fork for drainage) work to retain a bit of moisture? Old compost sacks are ideal.

This might allow sufficient moisture for evergreen ericaceous, giving structure/ habitat/ year round interest towards the back of your cottage garden plants.

Just thinking out loud, I'm still a novice grin

I have various mini log piles in the bed surrounding my small wildlife pond. You can't really see them amongst the planting but they provide valuable habitat and retain a bit of moisture (my bed is SW facing and gets a lot of sun).

I think I'm going to add bark chippings or this stuff this year as the soil gets baked in high summer:

here

GingerKitCat Fri 16-Feb-18 16:06:41

Japanese anemones and ceonothus like sunny aspect with acidic soil and would add height. I have a 6ft ceonothus trained against the fence at the back of the bed, the bees love it!

OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 16-Feb-18 18:36:47

Thank you! Some ace ideas. I'll sit down properly and check them out.

MrsBertBibby Fri 16-Feb-18 19:05:13

Lavender likes it dry and sunny, and bees love lavender!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: