Talk

Advanced search

Bay trees in pots

(6 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

OohOohMrPeevly Fri 09-Feb-18 14:07:54

I have a bay tree in a pot at either side of my front door. One of them has gone yellowy. Can anyone who's green fingered suggest anything to make it go green again? Many thanks.

whiskyowl Fri 09-Feb-18 16:17:30

- Has it had too little, or too much water?
- Is it very exposed and has it been subjected to very low temperatures?
- Has it had a feed? It may be deficient in nitrogen - an ordinary plant food should help.

These are the most likely culprits this time of year. If the leaves are curling under themselves in a deformed looking way, it could be bay sucker insects. If you uncurl the damaged bit, you will see them under the leaves. If only some leaves are affected, you can just cut these off and get rid of them in your black bin. If it's all over, then you might need to spray with insecticide, which may mean you can't eat the leaves.

JenMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 09-Feb-18 18:30:38

Hi OP,
Hope you don't mind, we are moving this thread to our Gardening topic.

JT05 Fri 09-Feb-18 18:33:42

Any thing in a pot can be a victim of vine weevil. Tip the pot up, if you can, onto a black plastic bag and look for white maggots with orange heads. If you find them then bin the plant.
You can get nematodes to water into the other pot which will hopefully eat any weevils there, if the infection is not too invasive.
Thoroughly wash and disinfect the pot and plant a new bay tree, treating it with nematodes.
I had this happen to a pair of camellias, one was affected one wasn’t.

OohOohMrPeevly Fri 09-Feb-18 21:55:38

Thanks very much for the replies.

Titsywoo Fri 09-Feb-18 22:01:44

Mine did this then all the leaves went completely brown. I repotted it as I think it wasn't draining properly and removed all the leaves and it has grown back to full health!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: